You are here
Health Informatics Major
Admission Term and Enrollment Level:
- Fall (MSN, Post-Graduate Certificate, and Health Informatics Certificate), Part-time
- Spring (MSN only), Part-time
Enrollment Mode: Distance-based
38 credit hours
Students in the health informatics major develop knowledge and skills in clinical information systems, strategic planning, project management, and a variety of technologies. Knowledge builds on concepts of data-information-knowledge meta-structures and incorporates systems lifecycle planning and expert clinical domain modeling. The rigorous program combines online instruction with one campus session each semester. The final course in this major (Nursing 725, Synthesis of Specialty Practice) is an intensive individualized practicum in a health care organization (minimum of 224 practicum hours) in which the student completes a project under the mentorship of an experienced clinician in the informatics specialty. Meet the Health Informatics faculty.
The increasing reliance of health care systems on information technology (IT) is opening up new opportunities for nursing informatics specialists who have expertise in both nursing practice and health care IT. Nurse informaticists play key roles in the development and implementation of health care IT systems in areas such as clinical documentation, computerized practitioner order entry, and electronic health records. The average salary of a nursing informaticist in 2014 was over $100,000 according to a workforce survey conducted by the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society.
- Program ranked #3 by U.S. News & World Report
- Distance-based curriculum that requires just two days on campus for a total of two times during the program. Most students are employed full-time and find that although they are busy, they can manage the course workload.
- Innovative and personalized instruction using synchronous and asynchronous teaching methods
- Multi-disciplinary faculty with nationally recognized expertise in nursing and biomedical informatics
- Emphasis on clinical informatics and real-world application
- Diverse and applied learning activities throughout the curriculum. Practicum in health informatics facilitates applied experience in the informatics role. Students completing the program will be eligible to sit for the American Nurses' Credentialing Center (ANCC) generalist exam for nursing informatics.
Learn more about our curriculum and matriculation plans.