You are here
The Health Equity Academy
The Academy for Academic and Social Enrichment and Leadership Development for Health Equity (Health Equity Academy) is funded by a Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Nursing Workforce Diversity (NWD) grant (D19HP25902) and is the next generation of the Making a Difference in Nursing II (MADIN II) program that concluded on December 31, 2013. The purpose of the NWD grant is to increase nursing education opportunities for individuals who are from disadvantaged backgrounds, including racial and ethnic minorities that are underrepresented among registered nurses.
The Health Equity Academy (HEA) focuses on social determinants of health, health access, health disparities, diversity and health equity in the preparation of HEA Scholars destined to become the next generation of minority nurse leaders.
HEA is a competitive academic and professional socialization program for students who are interested in a career in nursing and aspire to leadership in the profession and advanced levels of graduate education. Scholars are high achieving/high potential minority students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds. Benefits of becoming a HEA Scholar include:
- Participation in an intensive six-week summer immersion experience designed to cultivate an understanding of the social determinants of health. During this program, Health Equity Academy Scholars will:
- Receive a stipend to live on campus and work with Duke faculty, advisors and mentors.
- Attend seminars on the social determinants of health.
- Participate in community-based shadow experiences.
- Participate in service projects and outings.
- Attend “Professional Development” nursing courses.
- Once matriculated into the Duke Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program, Health Equity Academy Scholars will:
- Receive a variety of academic and social supports.
- Participate in tutoring and study groups.
- Receive scholarship and need-based stipend support.
- Have an opportunity to participate in a multitude of socialization and academic experiences.
For questions or more information, email email@example.com.