You are here
Adult-Gero NP Primary Care Major
Prospective students applying to enter the Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner-Primary Care Program for the first time may be eligible for a scholarship! Click image to learn more.
The adult-gerontology nurse practitioner – primary care (AGNP-primary care) major in the Duke MSN Program focuses on developing the knowledge and skills necessary to deliver nursing care to individuals from adolescence to older adulthood across primary care settings, including those in rural and under-served areas. The AGNP-primary care major prepares advanced practice nurses as generalists in adult primary care in a wide variety of settings, including private practices, public clinics, hospital-based outpatient clinics, and specialty practices.
Graduates from the Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner major are well-prepared to provide culturally competent, evidence-based, state-of-the-art primary medical care to patients from adolescence through senescence. Graduates practice in a wide variety of outpatient settings ranging from small community health centers to retail clinics to large academic medical centers.
- Opportunities for short-term course or clinical work in international sites
- Options for choosing an area of specialization (cardiology, endocrinology, oncology, orthopedics, or HIV)
- Precepted clinical experiences in a variety of settings, including rural and underserved areas
- Campus visits for intensive group learning experiences complement the online didactic content and the clinical preceptorships
- Focus on the knowledge and skills necessary to provide primary care across diverse settings
- Develop clinical resiliency under the mentorship of experienced clinicians in their area of expertise
- Synthesize clinical learning and the transition to the role of nurse practitioner
- A final residency clinical synthesis integrates previous didactic and clinical experiences
- Many of our faculty continue to practice in clinical roles, so they remain up-to-date on clinical issues
- 42 credit hours, including 560 clinical hours
- Full-time, MSN and Post Graduate Certificate
- Part-time, MSN and Post Graduate Certificate
The Adult-Gero NP Primary Care program is distance-based.
Learn more about our curriculum and matriculation plans.