You are here
Nursing Education Major
Admission Term and Enrollment Level:
- Fall (MSN and Post-Graduate Certificate), Full-time or Part-time
- Spring (MSN and Post-Graduate Certificate), Full-time or Part-time
Enrollment Mode: Online
40 credit hours
The nursing education major is designed to prepare individuals for the nurse educator role in academic or staff development settings. It reflects the nurse educator competencies developed by national organizations and is comprehensive in nature. The curriculum integrates core master’s-level concepts, advanced clinical foundations (i.e., assessment, pharmacology, pathophysiology) and education-focused courses (principles of teaching, tests/measurements, curriculum development, etc.). The nursing education major is delivered through an online asynchronous format that allows students to participate in courses at their own convenience. The major culminates in Nursing 745 (Synthesis: Implementing the Nurse Educator Role), an intensive individualized practicum (minimum of 168 practicum hours) in which each student collaborates with a master educator to implement the role.
The advanced clinical-focused courses included in this major provide students with a strong foundation regarding what they will teach, and the education-focused courses provide an exceptional basis regarding how to teach. As a result, graduates of the Nursing Education MSN specialty are very well prepared to assume faculty or clinical instructor positions in schools of nursing or staff development positions in health care institutions.
- Opportunity to work with master teachers at premier schools of nursing or health care institutions throughout the country, including Duke.
- Nationally-known experts in nursing education teach all specialty courses and serve as role model master teachers.
- Course development is guided by nurse educator competencies that have been established by national nursing education organizations.
- Two-credit courses, some of which are offered in concentrated blocks of time, allow for flexibility and intense focus on particular areas (e.g., educational technology).
- The strong clinical base is a unique feature.
Learn more about our curriculum and matriculation plans.