Anne L. Derouin, DNP, RN, CPNP, FAANP
Anne Derouin joined the DUSON faculty on April 1, 2011. Derouin is a certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner with more than 30 years’ experience in pediatric nursing, and she has strong ties to the Duke and Durham communities. She received her BSN in 1989 from the University of Michigan. She earned her MSN in 2000 and DNP in 2010, both from DUSON, and was a member of the School’s inaugural DNP cohort.
Derouin is currently the lead faculty for the PNP-Primary Care major in the MSN program at Duke. Prior to this appointment, Derouin co-taught several courses at DUSON and served as a pediatric primary care clinical nursing instructor for many years. She continues to contribute to the ABSN program and serves as a capstone chair and committee member for DNP capstone projects. For the past 15 years, she has provided primary care services for adolescents through community and school-based health centers affiliated with Duke’s Department of Community and Family Medicine. She has also been a frequent guest lecturer on adolescent topics for the Community and Family Medicine and Pediatrics departments at Duke.
Aside from her work at Duke, Derouin serves as an adolescent clinical expert and as current co-chair for the Adolescent Special Interest Group of the National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (NAPNAP). She is a former advocacy fellow for the School-based Health Alliance (formally the National Assembly of School-based Health Centers) and currently serves as the advocacy chair for the North Carolina Chapter of NAPNAP and as the past-president for the North Carolina School Community Health Alliance. In 2015 she was selected as a faculty policy fellow for the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN). In 2016 she was inducted as a fellow in the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP).
Academic Program Affiliations
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
- Master of Science in Nursing Program
- DNP - Duke University School of Nursing
- MSN - Duke University School of Nursing
- BSN - University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Research Interests● Adolescent healthcare
● School-based, school-linked and community health care
● Asthma, depression and diabetes research related to adolescents
● High-risk behavior prevention and outreach
● Innovations in communication and healthcare delivery
● Advocacy and policy related to children
Awards and Honors
- 2016 || Fellow, American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- 2015 || Outstanding ABSN Faculty Award, Duke University School of Nursing
- 2013 || Nurse in Washington Internship (NIWI) Award, National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (NAPAP)
- 2012 || Outstanding Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) Faculty Award, Duke University School of Nursing
- 2011 || Elected to inaugural (2012) class of NCNA Leadership Academy, North Carolina Nurses Association (NCNA)
- 2011 || Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, Duke University School of Nursing
- 2011 || NAPNAP School-based Healthcare Special Interest Group Annual Award, National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners
- 2010 || TV interview: "Meds alone not enough to treat ADHD", CNBC Nightly News
- 2010 || Dean's List, Duke University
- 2010 || Duke Health System "Great 100" Nursing Award, Duke Health System
- 2010 || NASBHC Advocacy Fellow, National Assembly on School-Based Health Care
- 2009 || Featured in "Teen clinic fills health niche", Article by N. Offen in Durham (NC) Herald-Sun
- 2009 || TV interview: "House Calls Make a Comeback", second part of a series on Duke Medicine innovations in primary care, NBC Nightly News
- 2006 || Who's Who of Nursing Professionals
- 2004 || MCN Practice Paper of the Year, Journal of Maternal Child Nursing
- 2000 || Who's Who of Graduate Students
- 1999 || AACN Honors Scholarship, American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- 1999 || G.I.V.E. Awards, Glaxo Wellcome, Inc
- 1999 || Shirley B. Titus Scholarship, University of Michigan Alumni Association
- 1998 || Dean's List, Duke University
- 1989 || Dean's List, University of Michigan
- 1989 || Inducted, Sigma Theta Tau International, Rho Chapter
- 1988 || AACN Honors Scholarship, American Association of Colleges of Nursing
Areas of Interest
Community and family medicine
- 2004 -- PubMed # : 14734960 -- Derouin, A. and Bravender, T. Living on the edge: the current phenomenon of self-mutilation in adolescents. MCN Am J Matern Child Nurs. April, 2004 29(1); 12-8; quiz 19-20.
- 1993 -- Derouin, A. Hypothermia in infants. Flightline. 1993 4, 1.
- 1994 -- Derouin, A. Case studies of pediatric transport patients. Flightline. 1994 5, 4.
- 1994 -- Derouin, A. Insights of transport. GMAC Family Support Services Newsletter. 1994 .
- 2011 -- Derouin, A. L. House rules: Setting guidelines for unsupervised kids. Ready, Set, Grow. Fall 2011/Winter 2012 .
- 2008 -- Schlesinger, M. and Gura, T. (article includes interview of Derouin) Youngsters wasting away. Nursing Spectrum Pediatric Specialty Guide. 2008 .
- 2006 -- McIntyre, W. and McIntyre, D. Duke Medicine: A Portrait, What we look like in our 75th year. (Derouin is featured under "Service"). Duke Med Magazine. Spring/Summer, 2006 6(1); 26.
- 2005 -- Tumolo, J. (article includes interview with Derouin) Slice at life. ADVANCE for NPs and PAs. December 1, 2005 13(12); 54.
- 2013 -- Derouin, A. L. [Contributing editor]. 2013 .
- 2010 -- Derouin, A. L. TV interview: "Meds alone not enough to treat ADHD" November, 2010 .
- 2009 -- Derouin, A. L. (interviewed) "House Calls Make a Comeback" (second part of a series on Duke Medicine innovations in primary care) NBC Nightly Newscast. January, 2009 .
- 2012 -- PubMed # : 22533297 -- Derouin, A. Preparing to lead... the NCNA Leadership Academy embarks. Tar Heel Nurse. April-June, 2012 74(2); 5, 7.
- 2013 -- Gittens-Gilkes, A. and Hartman, M. and Derouin, A. and Warrican, J. and Duncan, R. Improving diabetes control in an under-resourced community: a quality improvement pilot project to introduce the Chronic Care Passport. Caribbean Journal of Nursing. May, 2013 1(1); 17-24.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 24200295 -- Matheson, E. C. and Derouin, A. and Gagliano, M. and Thompson, J. A. and Blood-Siegfried, J. Increasing HPV vaccination series completion rates via text message reminders. J Pediatr Health Care. November, 2013 28(4); e35-9.
- 2014 -- Derouin, A. L. Nursing careers: The importance of patient- and family-centered care in pediatric nursing Nursing Notes. March, 2014 .
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 24675632 -- Ryan, D. J. and Mikula, E. B. and Germana, S. and Silva, S. G. and Derouin, A. Screening for critical congenital heart disease in newborns using pulse oximetry: evaluation of nurses' knowledge and adherence. Adv Neonatal Care. April, 2014 14(2); 119-28.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 24633638 -- Ouden, D. D. and Derouin, A. and Silva, S. and Khan, A. Screening for chlamydia: Are you doing it? Nurse Pract. April, 2014 39(4); 41-7.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 24269591 -- Spence, A. and Derouin, A. and Williams, J. and Thompson, J. and Earles, K. Implementation of a screening tool in a clinic setting to assess perceived barriers to weight loss in school-aged children. J Pediatr Nurs. October, 2013 29(1); 86-91.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 24867560 -- Richardson, G. C. and Derouin, A. L. and Vorderstrasse, A. A. and Hipkens, J. and Thompson, J. A. Nurse practitioner management of type 2 diabetes. Perm J. Spring, 2014 18(2); e134-40. PMC4022572
- 2014 -- McCaskill, S. P. and Schwartz, L. A. and Derouin, A. L. and Pegram, A. H.L. Effectiveness of an on-site health clinic at a self-insured university: A cost-benefit analysis. Workplace Health and Safety. April, 2014 62(4); 162-169.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 25535756 -- Oermann, M. H. and Leonardelli, A. K. and Turner, K. M. and Hawks, S. J. and Derouin, A. L. and Hueckel, R. M. Systematic review of educational programs and strategies for developing students' and nurses' writing skills. J Nurs Educ. January, 2015 54(1); 28-34.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 24702683 -- McCaskill, S. P. and Schwartz, L. A. and Derouin, A. L. and Pegram, A. H. Effectiveness of an on-site health clinic at a self-insured university: a cost-benefit analysis. Workplace Health Saf. April, 2014 62(4); 162-9; quiz 170.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 25839948 -- Carter, B. M. and Powell, D. L. and Derouin, A. L. and Cusatis, J. Beginning with the end in mind: cultivating minority nurse leaders. J Prof Nurs. March-April, 2015 31(2); 95-103.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 26247659 -- Derouin, A. L. and Hueckel, R. M. and Turner, K. M. and Hawks, S. J. and Leonardelli, A. K. and Oermann, M. H. Use of Workshops to Develop Nurses' and Nursing Students' Writing Skills. J Contin Educ Nurs. 46(8); 364-9.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 26465347 -- Lewinski, A. and Wainwright, K. and Gordon, H. and Derouin, A. Student-Faculty Lunch Program to Increase Mentoring and Facilitate Cross-Program Relationships in School of Nursing. Nurse Educ. October, 2015 Epub ahead of print .
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 26534870 -- Hawks, S. J. and Turner, K. M. and Derouin, A. L. and Hueckel, R. M. and Leonardelli, A. K. and Oermann, M. H. Writing Across the Curriculum: Strategies to Improve the Writing Skills of Nursing Students. Nurs Forum. November, 2015 Epub ahead of print .
Grant Funding (Selected)
ACCESS: Adolescent Centered Care, Education, and Social SupportKate B. Reynolds Trust
07/2006 to 06/2009
Role: Clinical PI (CFM)
Project Goal: Provide comprehensive healthcare, prenatal care and mental health to adolescents in a SBHC by developing and using community partnerships and resources.