Anthony (Tony) T. Dren, PhD, RPh
Dr. Dren received his doctorate in Pharmacology from the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) and a Master’s in Pharmacy from Duquesne University (Pittsburgh, PA). He is a registered pharmacist with over 30 years of experience in pre-clinical and clinical drug development with expertise in the design, execution, monitoring and reporting of Phase I-IV multi-center clinical trials. He has held managerial and research positions at Abbott Laboratories, Burroughs Wellcome Co., and, most recently, at Cato Research Ltd. He has implemented, managed, monitored, and reported on more than 40 drug development clinical trials, is credited with the publication of many scientific articles in professional journals, and holds ten patents.
Academic Program Affiliations
- Master of Science in Nursing Program
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
- PhD - University of Michigan at Ann Arbor
- MS - Duquesne University
Research InterestsDesign and execution of drug development clinical research studies.
Awards and Honors
- 2010 || Achievement Award and Alumni Commendation, Duquesne University Tamburitzans
- 2010 || American Epilepsy Society Fiftieth Anniversary Special Friend Award, American Epilepsy Society
- 2010 || Central Pharmaceutical Journal Award in Pharmaceutical Administration, Central Pharmaceutical Journal
- 2010 || Century Club Distinguished Alumnus Award, Duquesne University
- 1966 || Inducted, Rho Chi
- 1966 || Inducted, Phi Delta Chi
- 1961 || NIH Predoctoral Fellow, University of Michigan, United States Public Health Service
- 1960 || Performing Arts Scholarship, Duquesne University Tamburitzans
- 1960 || Student Government Achievement Award, Duquesne University
- 1960 || Student Hall of Fame, Duquesne University
- 1977 -- Dren, A. T. and Janicki, R. S. Pemoline. 1977 33-65.
- 2003 -- Dren, A. T. and Gussin, R. Z. and Diamond, J. and DuCharme, D. W. and Gibb, J. W. and Levin, J. A. and Zedeck, M. S. Memoirs of the early 1960s - The magnificent years. 2003 225-229.
- 1988 -- Dren, A. T. and Ebert, D. M. and Warawa, E. J. and Dodge, P. W. The intravenous anesthetic activity of bicyclic ketals structurally related to ketamine and etoxadrol. 1988 69-77.
- 1985 -- Davidson, J. R. T., Dren, A. T., Feighner, J. P., Ban, T. A., Chouinard, G. Multicenter study of a non-dopamine receptor blocking agent (BW234U) in schizophrenia. December, 1985 196-201.
- 1980 -- Dren, T. T. Drug toxicity (book review) J Pharm Sci. 1980 69 753.
- 1978 -- Domino, E. F. and Dren, A. T. and Giardina, W. J. Neurotransmitter and enzyme changes in the aged brain. 1978 1507-1515.
- 1976 -- Dren, A. T. Preclinical pharmacology of three nitrogen-containing heterocyclic benzopyrans derived from the cannabinoid nucleus. 1976 439-456.
- 1967 -- PubMed # : 6077737 -- Domino, E. F. and Dren, A. T. and Yamamoto, K. I. Pharmacologic evidence for cholinergic mechanisms in neocortical and limbic activating systems. Prog Brain Res. 27(2); 337-64.
- 2000 -- Dren, A. T. and Turner, G. H. The drug development process: Challenges, changes and careers. Part I. Advance for Nurses. 2000 2(20); 20-22.
- 2000 -- Dren, A. T. and Turner, G. H. The drug development process: Challenges, changes and careers. Part II. Advance for Nurses. 2000 2(21); 18-28.
- 1996 -- PubMed # : 8823232 -- Anderson, G. D. and Yau, M. K. and Gidal, B. E. and Harris, S. J. and Levy, R. H. and Lai, A. A. and Wolf, K. B. and Wargin, W. A. and Dren, A. T. Bidirectional interaction of valproate and lamotrigine in healthy subjects. Clin Pharmacol Ther. August, 1996 60(2); 145-56.
- 1994 -- Bergen, D. and Ristanovic, R. and Rudd, D. and Dren, A. T. and Klein, K. Placebo-controlled evaluation of clinical laboratory data and body weight during administration of Lamictal in outpatients with partial seizures Epilepsia. 1994 35(Suppl 8); 1963.
- 1992 -- Dren, A. T. and Risner, M. E. and Womble, G. P. and Yau, M. K. and Rudd, G. D. and Lineberry, C. G. Placebo-controlled add-on experience demonstrating the safety and efficacy of lamotrigine in patients with refractory partial seizures. Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 1992 32 766.
- 1995 -- Risner, M. E. and Womble, G. P. and Dren, A. T. and Manasco, P. K. Long-term clinical trial experience with Lamictal (lamotrigine) treatment of epilepsy. Epilepsia. 1995 36(Suppl 4); 66.
- 1993 -- PubMed # : 8232944 -- Matsuo, F. and Bergen, D. and Faught, E. and Messenheimer, J. A. and Dren, A. T. and Rudd, G. D. and Lineberry, C. G. Placebo-controlled study of the efficacy and safety of lamotrigine in patients with partial seizures. U.S. Lamotrigine Protocol 0.5 Clinical Trial Group. Neurology. November, 1993 43(11); 2284-91.
- 1991 -- PubMed # : 1681560 -- Borison, R. L. and Diamond, B. I. and Dren, A. T. Does sigma receptor antagonism predict clinical antipsychotic efficacy? Psychopharmacol Bull. 1991 27(2); 103-6.
- 1983 -- PubMed # : 6681843 -- Lee, C. M. and Zaugg, H. E. and Michaels, R. J. and Dren, A. T. and Plotnikoff, N. P. and Young, P. R. New azacannabinoids highly active in the central nervous system. J Med Chem. February, 1983 26(2); 278-80.
- 1982 -- PubMed # : 6130560 -- Davidson, J. and Miller, R. and Wingfield, M. and Zung, W. and Dren, A. T. The first clinical study of BW-234U in schizophrenia. Psychopharmacol Bull. October, 1982 18(4); 173-6.
- 1979 -- PubMed # : 33259 -- Minard, F. N. and Cain, J. C. and Grant, D. S. and Dren, A. T. N-o-Methoxyphenylpiperazine: a simple blocker of dopaminergic receptors in the brain. J Pharm Pharmacol. February, 1979 31(2); 91-3.
- 1978 -- PubMed # : 660483 -- Dren, A. T. and Bopp, B. A. and Ebert, D. M. and Geiszler, A. O. and Holland, J. B. and Horrom, B. W. and Dunnigan, D. A. Local anesthetic activity and acute toxicity of N-substituted 1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-1- and 2-naphthylamines. J Pharm Sci. June, 1978 67(6); 880-2.
- 1978 -- PubMed # : 660484 -- Bopp, B. A. and Dren, A. T. and Ebert, D. M. and Geiszler, A. O. Local anesthetic activity and acute toxicity of N-heptyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-6-methoxy-1-naphthylamine methanesulfonate. J Pharm Sci. 67(6); 882-4.
- 1992 -- Rudd, G. D. and Dren, A. T. and Womble, G. P. and Risner, M. E. and Lineberry, C. G. Comparison of crossover and parallel designs in the clinical evaluation of lamotrigine Pharmacotherapy. 1992 12 263.
- 1987 -- Dren, A. T. and Gorodetzky, C. W. and Cato, A. Case report: The case of the disappearing white blood cells. J Clin Res Drug Dev. 1987 1 79-86.
- 1987 -- Dren, A. T. and Ebert, D. M. and Warawa, E. J. and Dodge, P. W. Intravenous anesthetic activity of bicyclic ketals structurally related to ketamine and etoxadrol J Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1987 28(1); 122.
- 1986 -- White H. L. and Dren, A. T. Some preclinical and clinical pharmacological properties of BW A616U, a reversible MAO A inhibitor Clin Neuropharmacol. 1986 9(Suppl 1); 561-562.
- 1985 -- Davidson, J. and Dren, A. and Miller, R. and Manberg, P. and Kilts, C. and Wingfield, M. BW234U: a non-dopamine receptor blocking antipsychotic drug without extrapyramidal effects? Drug Development Research. 1985 6(1); 13-17.
- 1985 -- Schwarcz, G. and Halaris, A. and Dren, A. and Manberg, P. Open-label evaluation of the novel antipsychotic compound BW234U in chronic schizophrenics. Drug Development Research. 1985 5(4); 387-393.
- 1985 -- Warawa, E. and Dren, A. T. and Ebert, D. M. Synthesis and intravenous general anesthetic activity of 7-aza-II, 12-dioxxa-6-phenuyltricyclo-7,2,1,0 dodecanes Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 1985 28 .
- 1984 -- Feighner, J. P. and Dren, A. T. and Manberg, P. J. Clinical experience with a new antipsychotic without dopamine blocking properties Clin Neuropharmacol. 1984 7(Suppl 1); 148-149.
- 1978 -- Dren, A. T. and Giardina, W. J. and Hagen, N. S. Valproic acid (depakene): A review of pharmacological properties and clinical uses. 1978 58-97.
- 1977 -- PubMed # : 915915 -- Lee, C. M. and Michaels, R. J. and Zaugg, H. E. and Dren, A. T. and Plotnikoff, N. P. and Young, P. R. Cannabinoids. Synthesis and central nervous system activity of 8-substituted 10-hydroxy-5,5-dimethyl-5H-benzopyrano[4,3-c]pyridine and derivatives. J Med Chem. 20(11); 1508-11.
- 1977 -- PubMed # : 15111 -- Kirkpatrick, W. E. and Okabe, T. and Hillyard, I. W. and Robins, R. K. and Dren, A. T. and Novinson, T. 3-Halo-5,7-dimethylpyrazolo [1,5-a]pyrimidines, a nonbenzodiazepinoid class of antianxiety agents devoid of potentiation of central nervous system depressant effects of ethanol or barbiturates. J Med Chem. March, 1977 20(3); 386-93.
- 1976 -- PubMed # : 817021 -- Winn, M., Arendsen, D., Dodge, P., Dren, A., Dunnigan, D., Hallas, R., Hwang, K,. Kyncl, J., Lee, Y. H., Plotnikoff, N., Young, P., Zaugg, H. Drugs derived from cannabinoids. 5. Delta 6a, 10a-tetrahydrocannabinol and heterocyclic analogs containing aromatic side chains. J Med Chem. April, 1976 19(4); 461-471.
- 1976 -- Razdan, R. K. and Terris B. Z. and Handrick, G. R. and Dalzell, H. C. and Pars, H. G. and Howes, J. F. and Plotnikoff, N. and Dodge, P. and Dren, A. and Kyncl, J. and Shoer, L. and Thompson, W. R. Drugs derived from cannabinoids. 3. Sulfur analogs, thiopyranobenzopyrans and thienobenzopyrans. Journal of medicinal chemistry. April, 1976 19(4); 549-551.
- 1976 -- PubMed # : 817020 -- Razdan, R. K. and Terris, B. Z. and Pars, H. G. and Plotnikoff, N. P. and Dodge, P. W. and Dren, A. T. and Kyncl, J. and Somani, P. Drugs derived from cannabinoids. 2. Basic esters of nitrogen and carbocyclic analogs. J Med Chem. April, 1976 19(4); 454-61.
- 1976 -- PubMed # : 944269 -- Razdan, R. K. and Handrick, G. R. and Dalzell, H. C. and Howes, J. F. and Winn, M. and Plotnikoff, N. P. and Dodge, P. W. and Dren, A. T. Drugs derived from cannabinoids. 4. Effect of alkyl substitution in sulfur and carbocyclic analogs. J Med Chem. April, 1976 19(4); 552-4.
- 1968 -- PubMed # : 4387241 -- Dren, A. T. and Domino, E. F. Cholinergic and adrenergic activating agents as antagonists of the EEG effects of hemicholinium-3. Arch Int Pharmacodyn Ther. September, 1968 175(1); 63-72.
- 1968 -- PubMed # : 5648491 -- Dren, A. T. and Domino, E. F. Effects of hemicholinium (HC-3) on EEG activation and brain acetylcholine in the dog. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. May, 1968 161(1); 141-54.
- 1968 -- PubMed # : 5710521 -- Rosecrans, J. A. and Dren, A. T. and Domino, E. F. Effects of physostigmine on rat brain acetylcholine, acetylcholinesterase and conditioned pole jumping. Int J Neuropharmacol. March, 1968 7(2); 127-34.
- 1968 -- Dren, A. T. EEG Evaluation of Drug Action INTEK. 1968 4 1-3.
- 1968 -- PubMed # : 5749010 -- Domino, E. F. and Yamamoto, K. and Dren, A. T. Role of cholinergic mechanisms in states of wakefulness and sleep. Prog Brain Res. 1968 28(2); 113-33.
- 1983 -- Guy, W. and Manov, G. and Wilson, W. H. and Ban, T. and Fjetland, O. K. and Manberg, P. J. and Dren, A. T. Psychotropic actions of BW234U in the treatment of inpatient schizophrenics: a dose range study. Drug Development Research. 1983 3(3); 245-252.
Grant Funding (Selected)
Clinical Research Management Program for NursesHealth Resources and Service Administration (HRSA)
07/2006 to 06/2009
The purpose of this project is to “prepare advanced practice nurses through the enhancement of advanced nursing education and practice". The major goal of this project is to develop interactive case scenarios for on-line teaching.