Elaine D. Kauschinger, PhD, ARNP, FNP-BC
Dr. Elaine Kauschinger, who joined the School of Nursing faculty in 2013, earned a PhD in Interdisciplinary Graduate Studies with concentrations in nursing, sociology and epidemiology at the University of Miami. Her doctoral research focused on women in a residential substance abuse research facility. She holds a Master of Science degree (family nurse practitioner track) from Pace University/New York Medical College, and a BS in psychology from Manhattan College. In addition, she has earned diplomas from the National Autonomous University of Mexico in Mexican Studies and in Advanced Studies-Spanish Language.
She been a family nurse practitioner since 1980 and a nurse educator since 1996. Before coming to Duke, she served for almost a decade as Lead Faculty in the Family Nurse Practitioner Program and Assistant Professor of Clinical in the highly ranked primary care program at the University of Miami. Her diverse experience in teaching includes undergraduate courses, clinical and non-clinical courses at the Master’s level, DNP-level courses, and serving as advisor to ARNPs, educators, and administrators completing their DNP Capstone projects and practicum.
Dr. Kauschinger is board certified by the American Nurses Credentialing Center as a family nurse practitioner. Her clinical experience includes family practice, emergency departments, prenatal case management, HIV/AIDS, substance abuse, student health centers, retail health, and occupational health at a nuclear power plant in the Everglades. From 1986 to 1996, she lived and worked in Mexico City, Mexico. In addition to her private clinical practice serving the expatriate and local community, she provided healthcare and education services in association with the U.S. and other embassies, multinational corporations, schools, and hospitals, and collaborated with WHO and the Mexican government on projects addressing the needs of rural populations. Most recently, she was a forensic hospitalist providing acute, urgent and chronic healthcare to an adolescent and adult population with severe chronic psychiatric disorders in a 238-bed hospital setting.
She has consulted for several organizations, including the US Department of Health and Human Services HIV/AIDS Bureau, and has been a grant reviewer for the Florida Department of Education. She received the Nurse of the Year Award from the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care/Metro Miami Dade Chapter, and has also served as the chapter president. More recently she has been Governance Committee Chair for the Beta Tau Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau. Dr. Kauschinger is also active in the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF), and for the past two years has been a co-recipient of the NONPF Honor Roll Award for excellence of program and faculty.
Academic Program Affiliations
- Master of Science in Nursing Program
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
- PhD - University of Miami, School of Graduate Studies
- MS - Pace University/New York Medical College
- BS (Psychology) - Manhattan College
Awards and Honors
- 2014 || Listed as one of Top 25 Nurse Practitioner Program Professors in the United States., Nurse Practitioner Schools - Sechel Ventures
- 2012 || Co-recipient, 2012-13 Honor Roll Award for excellence of program and faculty, National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF)
- 2012 || Service Recognition Award, Minute Clinic
- 2011 || Co-recipient, 2011-12 Honor Roll Award for excellence of program and faculty, National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF)
- 2006 || Certificate of Recognition for service as President of Metro Miami Dade Chapter, Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- 2002 || Nurse of the Year, Association of Nurses in AIDS Care Metro Miami Chapter
- 2001 || Inducted, Sigma Theta Tau International
- 2000 || Special Honoree, Agape Women's Center (Florida)
- 2008 -- PubMed # : 18048802 -- Brown, D. R. and Hernández, A. and Saint-Jean, G. and Evans, S. and Tafari, I. and Brewster, L. G. and Celestin, M. J. and Gómez-Estefan, C. and Regalado, F. and Akal, S. and Nierenberg, B. and Kauschinger, E. D. and Schwartz, R. and Page, J. B. A participatory action research pilot study of urban health disparities using rapid assessment response and evaluation. Am J Public Health. January, 2008 98(1); 28-38.
- 2012 -- Kauschinger, E. D. HIV/AIDS Update Advance for Nurses. 2012 .
- 2012 -- Kauschinger, E. D. HIV/AIDS (online CEU module) 2012 .
- 2011 -- Kauschinger, E. D. HIV/AIDS (online CEU module) 2011 .
- 2012 -- Kauschinger, E. D. and Trybulski, J. Routine screening and immunization. May, 2012 142-158.