Eleanor L. Stevenson, PhD, RN
Dr. Eleanor Stevenson received her B.S. in Nursing from Rutgers University College of Nursing-New Brunswick, and her M.S. in Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner from Rutgers University College of Nursing-Newark. She received her Ph.D. in Nursing Research and Theory Development from New York University College of Nursing. During her doctoral studies, she received the Alumni Association Doctoral Achievement Award; the Sigma Theta Tau, Upsilon Research Award; the Rudin Family Award for Doctoral Achievement; and the McRae Foundation Award. Dr. Stevenson’s clinical career has been focused on women’s health issues including working in various settings such as high-risk labor and delivery, mother-baby, antepartum, family planning, and infertility services. She has previously worked in research and development of women’s health and infertility medications.
Dr. Stevenson joined the faculty of Duke University School of Nursing in August, 2011 and teaches in the ABSN program, including courses such as Nursing Care of the Childbearing Family and Nursing Specialty Synthesis. Prior to her faculty appointment, Dr. Stevenson was a full time Clinical Nurse Educator at Duke University School of Nursing, taking students into the clinical setting in the role of a Clinical Instructor in Maternity, Foundations, and Specialty Synthesis courses. She also continues her research examining multidimensional psychological stress in women who have conceived pregnancies via in-vitro fertilization with an interest in its role on adverse birth outcomes including preterm birth.
Academic Program Affiliations
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
- PhD - New York University College of Nursing
- MS - Rutgers University College of Nursing
- BS - Rutgers University College of Nursing
Awards and Honors
- 2012 || 2012 ASRM Nurse Research Award, American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) Nurse Professional Group
- 2011 || American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM) Nurse Research Award, Merck, Inc.
- 2010 || McRae Foundation Research Award, McRae Foundation
- 2006 || Erline McGriff Student Award, New York University College of Nursing
- 2005 || NYU Alumni Association Doctoral Student Award, New York University Alumni Association
- 2004 || Rudin Family Student Award, New York University
- 2004 || Sigma Theta Tau, Upsilon- Research Award, Sigma Theta Tau, Upsilon Chapter
- 1995 || Inducted, Sigma Theta Tau, Upsilon chapter
Areas of Interest
in vitro fertilization
- 2003 -- Mayberry, L. J, and De, A. K. and Stevenson, E. L. and Affonso, D. D. International muiltisite studies 2003 116-144.
- 2003 -- PubMed # : 12544045 -- Stevenson, E. L. Future trends in nursing employment: the nursing shortage has made choosing the right career path easier. Am J Nurs. 103 Suppl 19-25; quiz 38-9.
- 2013 -- Turner, K. M. and Chudgar, S. M. and Engle, D. and Molloy, M. A. and Phillips, B. C. and Stevenson, E. L. and Clay, A. S. "It takes a village": An interprofessional patient safety experience for nursing and medical students. Medical Science Educator. 2013 23(3S); 449-456.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 24535177 -- Stevenson, E. L. and Gordon, H. A. Students as active learners and teaching partners in the clinical setting. Nurse Educ. March-April, 2014 39(2); 52-3.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 24980203 -- Hershberger, P. E. and Stevenson, E. L. In support of equitable infertility health insurance. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. June, 2014 43(4); 401-2.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 24750647 -- Stevenson, E. L. Enriching a classroom lesson on grief and loss. Nurs Womens Health. April, 2014 18(2); 99-100.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 26506864 -- Stevenson, E. and Chudgar, S. M. and Turner, K. and Molloy, M. and Phillips, B. and Engle, D. L. and Clay, A. S. How We Engage Graduating Professional Students in Interprofessional Patient Safety. Nurs Forum. October, 2015 Epub ahead of print .