Jennie De Gagne, PhD, DNP, RN-BC, CNE, ANEF, FAAN
Jennie De Gagne is an Associate Professor in the Duke University School of Nursing (DUSON). As a nurse educator who has obtained both PhD and DNP, De Gagne connects these two areas of discovery and implementation by creating and transforming evidence-based practice and education that help current and future generations of nurses address global nursing issues. Her scholarship focuses on nursing education with an emphasis on cybercivility and educational technology management. She is currently conducting studies on promoting cybercivility and preventing cyberincivility among health professions students and faculty across the curriculum, policies, and guidelines.
De Gagne holds numerous membership and leadership roles in professional organizations, including the International Council of Nursing, American Nurses Association, and Global Korean Nursing Foundation. She is the founder and executive advisor of the North Carolina Korean Nurses Association, sits as an editorial board member for the Athens Journal of Health, and serves the Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing as a global ambassador and an abstract reviewer.
De Gagne is board certified in Nursing Professional Development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center and earned certification as a nurse educator from the National League for Nursing. She is a member of National League for Nursing (NLN) Academy of Nursing Education and the American Academy of Nursing. She has been the recipient of scholarships and awards throughout her professional and academic career, being interviewed nationally and internationally for print and the web.
Academic Program Affiliations
- Master of Science in Nursing Program
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
- PhD in Nursing Program
- DNP - Duke University School of Nursing
- PhD - Northcentral University
- MSN - Walden University
- BSN - Ewha Womans University
Research InterestsAreas of research interest • Cybercivility in health professions education • Online teaching and learning • Educational informatics • Population health (focusing on vulnerable populations) • Self-management education interventions
Awards and Honors
- 2017 || Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
- 2017 || Distinguished Teaching Award, Duke University School of Nursing
- 2017 || Inaugural Alumni of the Year, Northcentral University
- 2017 || Inaugural Fellow, Duke Academy for Health Professions Education and Academic Development (AHEAD)
- 2016 || Honorable Mention, Apereo Teaching and Learning Awards
- 2015 || Best Poster Presentation, 6th International Conference on Community Health Nursing Research (ICCHNR), International Collaboration for Community Health Nursing Research, Seoul, South Korea
- 2015 || Best Poster Presentation, Korean Academy of Rural Health Nursing
- 2014 || Award, Best Poster Presentation, 2014 Academic Conferece, Korean Society of Nursing Science, Seoul, South Korea
- 2014 || Award, Edith Anderson Leadership Education Grant, 25th International Nursing Research Congress, Sigma Theta Tau International, Hong Kong, China
- 2014 || Nursing Scholarship Award, Asian American/Pacific Islander Nurses Association
- 2010 || Award, Edith Anderson Leadership Education Grant, 21st International Nursing Research Congress, Sigma Theta Tau International, Orlando, FL
- 2010 || Lilly Greensboro Best Poster Presentation Award, UNC-Greensboro
- 2010 || Research Award, NCNA Triangle Region, North Carolina Nurses Association, Raleigh, NC
- 2009 || Dissertation of the Year for the School of Education, Northcentral University, Prescott, AZ
- 2007 || Award, Appreciations of Service to Policy & Procedure Committee Chairs, Fletcher Allen Health Care, Burlington, VT
- 2007 || Inducted, Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society in Education, Indianapolis, IN
- 2007 || Scholarship Award, Nursing Education Scholarship, New England Federal Credit Union, Burlington, VT
- 2007 || Scholarship Award, Pat and Frank Allen Scholarship, Vermont State Nurses’ Foundation, South Burlington, VT
- 2006 || Inducted, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
Areas of Interest
Global health and education
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 24803531 -- De Gagne, J. C. and Oh, J. and So, A. and Haidermota, M. and Lee, S. A mixed methods study of health care experience among Asian Indians in the Southeastern United States J Transcult Nurs. September, 2015 26(4); 354-64.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 24621370 -- De Gagne, J. C. and Oh, J. and So, A. and Kim, S-S. The healthcare experiences of Koreans living in North Carolina: a mixed methods study. Health Soc Care Community. 22(4); 417-28.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 24102842 -- Hyun, M. and Chung, H. C. and De Gagne, J. C. and Kang, H. S. The effects of cognitive-behavioral therapy on depression, anger, and self-control for Korean soldiers. J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv. February, 2014 52(2); 22-8.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 23755942 -- De Gagne, J. C. and Oh, J. and Kang, J. and Vorderstrasse, A. A. and Johnson, C. M. Virtual worlds in nursing education: a synthesis of the literature. J Nurs Educ. 52(7); 391-6.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 23692374 -- De Gagne, J. C. and So, A. and Oh, J. and Park, S. and Palmer, M. H. Sociodemographic and health indicators of older women with urinary incontinence: 2010 National Survey of Residential Care Facilities. J Am Geriatr Soc. 61(6); 981-6.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 23410252 -- Oh, J. and De Gagne, J. C. and Kang, J. A review of teaching-learning strategies to be used with film for prelicensure students. J Nurs Educ. 52(3); 150-6.
- 2012 -- PubMed # : 22554554 -- Oh, J. and Kang, J. and De Gagne, J. C. Learning concepts of cinenurducation: an integrative review. Nurse Educ Today. 32(8); 914-9.
- 2012 -- PubMed # : 21975369 -- De Gagne, J. C. and Bisanar, W. A. and Makowski, J. T. and Neumann, J. L. Integrating informatics into the BSN curriculum: a review of the literature. Nurse Educ Today. 32(6); 675-82.
- 2011 -- PubMed # : 21232831 -- De Gagne, J. C. The impact of clickers in nursing education: a review of literature. Nurse Educ Today. November, 2011 31(8); e34-40.
- 2008 -- De Gagne, J. (interviewee) Interview, Supporting Continuing Education for Nurses in the U.S, Korean Nurses Association Newsletter, Seoul, South Korea. 2008 .
- 2006 -- De Gagne, J. (interviewee) Interview, New American Dream: The Reality of American Nurses Yeon-Gun Quarterly Publication, Seoul National University. 2006 .
- 2006 -- De Gagne, J. (interviewee) Interview, The Many Faces of Nursing Fletcher Allen Health Care, Burlington, VT. 2006 .
- 2008 -- De Gagne, J. (interviewee) Interview, Member Spotlight North Carolina Nurses Association, Raleigh, NC. 2008 .
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 25061824 -- Kang, H. S. and De Gagne, J. C. and Kim, J. Attitudes, Intentions, and Barriers Toward Influenza Vaccination Among Pregnant Korean Women. Health Care Women Int. September, 2015 36(9); 1026-38.
- 2009 -- De Gagne, J. C. and Walters, K. A qualitative meta-synthesis study Journal of Online Learning and Teaching. December, 2009 5(4); 577-589.
- 2010 -- De Gagne, J. C. and Walters, K. The lived experience of online educators: Hermeneutic phenomenology. Journal of eLearning and Online Teaching. June, 2010 6(2); 357-366.
- 2010 -- Walters, K. and Shaw, M.and De Gagne, J. C. Want to teach online? Things you should know. Journal of eLearning and Online Teaching. April, 2010 1(4); 1-9.
- 2010 -- De Gagne, J. C. and McGill, B. A. Faculty development in online education Journal of Online Higher Education. July, 2010 1(7); 1-13.
- 2010 -- Lassiter, E. B. and De Gagne J. C. Academic freedom and tenure: Protective or destructive to academe Journal of Globalization and Higher Education. July, 2010 1(7); 1-15.
- 2010 -- Lassiter, E. B. and De Gagne J. C. Does tenure matter? A mixed methods study. Journal of Globalization and Higher Education. August, 2010 1(8); 1-22.
- 2010 -- De Gagne, J. C. and McGill, B. A. Ethical and legal issues in online education. Journal of Educational Technology,. July, 2010 1(7); 2-13.
- 2011 -- De Gagne, J. Educational issues in nursing informatics. Journal of Healthcare Leadership, Management, and Research. August, 2011 2(8); 1-10.
- 2011 -- So, A. and De Gagne, J. C. Adherence exercise behavior in older adults with osteoarthritis in rural area: From theory to intervention. Journal of Health Sciences & Practice (JOHSP). January, 2011 2(1); 1-17.
- 2012 -- Kim, S-S. and De Gagne, J. C. Addressing health disparities in Korean immigrants through health education. Journal of Health Sciences & Practice (JOHSP). 2012 3(9); 1-16.
- 2011 -- Lee, K. S. and So, A. Y. and De Gagne, J. C. and Choi, J. S. and Lee, E. H. and Suh, G. H. and Choi, S. H. and Heitkemper, M. M. Self-help education as outreach program for osteoarthritis patients in rural Korea. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health (Korea). 2011 18(2); 270-281.
- 2012 -- De Gagne, J. C. and Oh, J.-A. Health promotion education in a virtual world: A concept analysis. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. April, 2012 18(1); 81-93.
- 2012 -- So, A. and De Gagne, J. C. and Palmer, M. H. Prevalence of urinary incontinence in older Korean women. International Journal of Urological Nursing. July, 2012 6(2); 51-59.
- 2012 -- Oh, J. and Shin, H. and De Gagne, J. C. QSEN competencies in pre-licensure nursing education and the application to cinenurducation. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Education. 2012 18(3); 474-485.
- 2008 -- De Gagne, J. C. My journey thus far. Asian American/Pacific Islander Nurses Association. 2008 5(1); 5-6.
- 2011 -- De Gagne, J. Technology reshapes the curriculum and the profession. Ascension: A Publication from the Office of the Provost (North Carolina Central University, Durham, NC). 2011 1 5.
- 2011 -- De Gagne, J. and Oh, J. The impact of clickers in nursing education: A review of literature. (J. Oh, translator) Chung-Ang Journal of Nursing. 2011 15 9-17.
- 2009 -- De Gagne, J. C. Online Teaching Theory to Practice: A Multi-Method Qualitative Study. June, 2009 .
- 2014 -- Oh, J. and Kim, S. K. and Kang, K. A. and Kim, S. H. and Roh, H. and De Gagne, J. C. Brain-based teaching strategies for nurse educators: An integrative review Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Education. November, 2014 20(4); 617-627.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 25723333 -- McCalla-Graham, J. A. and De Gagne, J. C. The lived experience of new graduate nurses working in an acute care setting. J Contin Educ Nurs. March, 2015 46(3); 122-8.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 25734463 -- Park, S. and De Gagne, J. C. and So, A. and Palmer, M. H. Knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, and practices in registered nurses and care aids about urinary incontinence in Korean nursing homes: a cross-sectional survey. J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs. March/April, 2015 42(2); 183-9.
- 2015 -- De Gagne, J. C. and So, A. and Wu, B. and Palmer, M. H. and McConnell, E. S. The effect of a urinary incontinence self-management program for older women in South Korea: A pilot study International Journal of Nursing Sciences. May, 2015 2(1); 33-46.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 25856452 -- De Gagne, J. C. and Park, S. and So, A. and Wu, B. and Palmer, M. H. and McConnell, E. S. A urinary incontinence continuing education online course for community health nurses in South Korea. J Contin Educ Nurs. April, 2015 46(4); 171-8.
- 2015 -- Oh, J. and Shin, H. and De Gagne, J. The use of the movie ‘The Island’ for nursing informatics in nursing students. Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2015 15(4); 330-341.
- 2015 -- So, A.. and De Gagne, J. C., and Oh, J. Factors on healthcare utilization by Asian immigrants in the United States Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing. May, 2015 29(1); 53-66.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 26172850 -- Choi, M., & De Gagne, J. C. Autonomy of nurse practitioners in primary care: An integrative review J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. July, 2015, Epub ahead of print 28(3); 170-174.
- 2015 -- Sherwood, G. and Barnsteiner, J. (J. Oh, H. Shin, H., J. Kang, & J. C. De Gagne, translators) Quality and safety education for nurses: A competency approach to improving outcomes. Originally published in English in 2012 .
- 2015 -- Oermann, M. H., & Gaberson, K. B. (J. C. De Gagne, J. Oh, Y. Kang, S. Shin, G. Kim, & J. Kang, translators) Evaluation and testing in nursing education. Originally published in English in 2014 .
- 2015 -- So, A. and De Gagne, J. C. and Park, S. and Kim, Y.-O. The effect of a workshop on a urinary incontinence self-management teaching program for community health nurses Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. September 30, 2015 26(3); 260-267.
- 2018 -- PubMed # : 29529972 -- Hyun, M. S. and De Gagne, J. C. and Park, J. and Kang, H. S. Incivility experiences of nursing students in South Korea. Nurs Ethics. 25(2); 186-198.
- 2018 -- De Gagne, J. C., Connors, H. B., & Tally, K. Integrating teaching in education. 2018 .
- 2018 -- De Gagne, J. C. Teaching in online learning environments 2018 .
- 2018 -- Oermann, M. H., De Gagne, J. C., & Phillips, B. C. Teaching in nursing and role of the educator: The complete guide to best practice in teaching, evaluation, and curriculum development (2nd ed.). 2018 .
- 2017 -- PubMed # : 28362464 -- Mann, C., & De Gagne, J. C. Experience of Novice Clinical Adjunct Faculty: A Qualitative Study. J Contin Educ Nurs. 2017 48(4); 167-174.
- 2017 -- Kwon, K-A., Yoo, G., & De Gagne, J. C. Does culture matter? A qualitative inquiry of helicopter parenting in Korean-American college students Journal of Child and Family Studies. 26(7); 1979-1990.
- 2016 -- PubMed # : 27472429 -- De Gagne, J. C., Yamane, S. S., & Conklin, J. L. Evidence-based strategies to create a culture of cybercivility in health professions education. Nurse Educ Today. 2016 45 138-41.
- 2016 -- PubMed # : 27166735 -- Palumbo, M. V., De Gagne, J. C., & Murphy, G. Interprofessional care of elders: Utilizing the virtual learning environment. J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. 2016 28(9); 465-70.
- 2016 -- PubMed # : 27022683 -- De Gagne, J. C., Choi, M., Ledbetter, L., Kang, H., & Clark, C. M. An Integrative Review of Cybercivility in Health Professions Education. Nurse Educ. 2016 41(5); 239-45.
- 2016 -- PubMed # : 27101939 -- De Gagne, J. C., Kang, H., & Hyun, M. Psychometric properties of the Korean version of the incivility in nursing education-revised (INE-R) survey. Nurs Health Sci. 2016 18(4); 425-434.
- 2016 -- PubMed # : 26848644 -- Kang, M., De Gagne, J. C., & Kang, H. Perioperative Nurses' Work Experience With Robotic Surgery: A Focus Group Study. Comput Inform Nurs. 2016 34(4); 152-8.
- 2016 -- PubMed # : 26814820 -- Cooley, S., & De Gagne, J. C. Transformative Experience: Developing Competence in Novice Nursing Faculty. J Nurs Educ. 2016 55(2); 96-100.
- 2017 -- PubMed # : 29206713 -- De Gagne, J. C., Conklin, J. L., Yamane, S. S., Kang, H. S., and Hyun, M. Educating Future Health Care Professionals About Cybercivility: Needs Assessment Study. Nurse Educ. 43(5); .
- 2017 -- Yoo, J-B., Hong, M., & De Gagne, J. C. [Factors affecting clinical competency of Korean nurses in the perianesthesia setting] Article in Korean Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society. 2017 19(6); 3345-3359.
- 2018 -- PubMed # : 29230479 -- Yoo, J. and De Gagne, J. C. and Jeong, S. S. and Jeong, C. Effects of a Hybrid Education Programme for Korean Mothers of Children with Atopic Dermatitis. Acta Derm Venereol. 98(1); 329-334.
- 2018 -- PubMed # : 29406136 -- De Gagne, J. C. and Yamane, S. S. and Conklin, J. L. and Chang, J. and Kang, H. S. Social media use and cybercivility guidelines in U.S. nursing schools: A review of websites. J Prof Nurs. 2018 34(1); 35-41.
- 2017 -- PubMed # : 29525217 -- Kang, H. S. and De Gagne, J. C. and Son, Y. D. and Chae, S. Completeness of Human Papilloma Virus Vaccination: A Systematic Review. J Pediatr Nurs. 2018 39 7-14.
- 2018 -- PubMed # : 29178182 -- Hong, M., De Gagne, J. C., and Shin, H. Social networks, health promoting-behavior, and health-related quality of life in older Korean adults. Nurs Health Sci. November, 2018 20(1); 79-88.
- 2018 -- PubMed # : 29596705 -- Bonkowski, S. L., De Gagne, J. C., Cade, M. B. and Bulla, S. A. Evaluation of a Pain Management Education Program and Operational Guideline on Nursing Practice, Attitudes, and Pain Management. J Contin Educ Nurs. 49(4); 178-185.
- 2018 -- PubMed # : 29714504 -- Devarayasamudram, S., De Gagne, J. C., Kurudi, N. P. and Kang, H. S. Effectiveness of a Structured Teaching Program on Knowledge and Attitudes Toward HIV among Young Women in India. J Community Health Nurs. 2018 35(2); 49-56.
Grant Funding (Selected)
Cybercivility in Nursing EducationInstitute for Educational Excellence, Duke University School of Nursing
08/2015 to 08/2017
Project Goal: The goal of this educational research is to explore the nature of nursing student and faculty incivility in an online learning environment and to develop strategies to cultivate a healthy and safe online learning/teaching environment for quality nursing education.
Duke Global Health Bass Connections Project; Distance-based, executive-style degree completion program for Ghanaian nurse anesthetistBass Connections, Duke University
06/2014 to 08/2016
Project Goal: The goal of the project is to utilize innovative technology and an executive training model to assist practicing anesthetists in completing their degree, allowing for a continuity of care in the community and opportunities to train additional nurses to administer anesthesia.
Student perceptions of incivility in Korean nursing educationResearch Institute of Nursing Science, Ajou University, Suwon, South Korea
04/2015 to 04/2016
Role: Researcher Abroad
This focus group study aims at exploring the phenomenon of incivility in nursing education from the perspective of Korean nursing students and developing strategies of preventing inappropriate academic and social behaviors while promoting a civil learning environment that fosters the personal and professional development of future nurses.
The effects of an educational workshop for community health nurses on urinary incontinence self-managementNursing Science Research Institute, Chung-Ang University, Seoul, South Korea
03/2015 to 03/2016
Role: Researcher Abroad
Project goal: This research aims at examining the long effects of continuing nursing education on urinary incontinence self-management targeted at enhancing Korean community health nurses’ competence in the management of continence care.
Inviting innovation in inter-professional care of elders with chronic illnessesHRSA Advanced Nursing Education
07/2013 to 06/2016
Role: Cultural Consultant
Project Goal: This project invites innovation in the interprofessional care of elders with multiple chronic conditions within a well-established and accredited nurse practitioner program at the University of Vermont in Burlington, VT.
Translation and validation of the Korean version of the Incivility in Nursing Education (INE-R) Survey and the Faculty-to-Faculty Incivility (F-FI) SurveyNursing Science Research Institute Chung-Ang University, Seoul, South Korea
10/2014 to 10/2015
Role: Researcher abroad
Project Goal: This project aims at developing the Korean versions of INE-R and F-FI through their translation, validation, and evaluation, which can be used to prevent uncivil and disruptive behaviors from occurring in a nursing education environment in South Korea.
Effects of urinary incontinence self-management continuing education of community health nurses in South KoreaGangneung-Wonju National University, Wonju, South Korea
02/2014 to 12/2015
Project Goal: This project promotes workforce development (community health nurses practitioners in South Korea) and dissemination of self-management programs for older women with urinary incontinence
The development of film-based teaching-learning design for pre-licensure health professionalsNational Research Foundation of Korea Grant
05/2013 to 04/2015
Role: Scholar/Researcher Abroad
Project Goal: This research project develops and disseminates film-based teaching strategies and guidelines to nursing faculty teaching pre-licensure health professional students.
Development, implementation, and evaluation of urinary incontinence self-management group program among older women in rural South KoreaGeorgia State University Summer Fellowship Grant
08/2013 to 07/2014
Project Goal: This project aims at developing, implementing, and evaluating a urinary incontinence self-management program for community-dwelling older women in South Korea.
Perceived parental involvement in Korean-American college studentsBill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Asian Studies Faculty Grant, Asian Studies
04/2013 to 03/2014
Project Goal: This focus-group study explores experiences of helicopter parenting among Korean-American college students.
Secondary analysis on socio-demographic and health indicators of older women with urinary incontinence: Using the 2010 national survey of residential care facilitiesNorth Carolina Central University
05/2012 to 02/2013
Project Goal: This secondary data analysis examines the prevalence of urinary incontinence among residents in assisted-living facilities in the U.S.
VoiceThread: Classroom in the CloudHealth Information Technology Scholars (HITS) Program sponsored by HRSA
01/2012 to 12/2012
Role: Primary Faculty Scholar
Project Goal: This project is aimed to develop and implement an innovative teaching strategy that uses asynchronous video communications. The target audience for this project is online RN-BSN students at North Carolina Central University, Durham, NC.
Knowledge, attitudes and beliefs about urinary incontinence in Korean nurses and care-helpers who work with older populationKorea Research Foundation
09/2011 to 12/2012
Project Goal: This research promotes to develop educational strategies for geriatric nurses taking care older adults with urinary incontinence.
Off-campus RN-BSN program: Halifax CountyNC AHEC (Area Health Education Center)
05/2010 to 04/2011
Project Goal: The goal of the project is to increase the number of bachelor's prepared nurses in Halifax County via online and off-site teaching strategies.
OIA Competitive Grant Award for Global EngagementOffice of International Affairs, North Carolina Central University, NC
01/2010 to 12/2010
Perception and experiences of health disparities among foreign-born Asian Indian Americans and Korean Americans in North Carolina: A mixed methods pilot studyThe UNC Ethnicity, Culture, and Health Outcomes (ECHO) Program
07/2010 to 12/2011
Project Goal: This research aims to explore health disparities in Asian immigrants living in North Carolina, USA.
Travel Grant Award for the STTI Research CongressSTTI Pi Sigma Chapter, North Carolina Central University, Durham, NC
07/2010 to 07/2010
Travel Grant to attend 2010 Sigma Theta Tau Research Congress in Orlando, FL (July, 2010
A pilot study of community-based community health needs to reduce health disparities among Korean Americans in North CarolinaNorth Carolina Central University
09/2009 to 12/2010
Project Goal: This pilot study aims at exploring health education strategies for Korean-immigrants residing in North Carolina.
Exploring the experience of educators who teach online: A multi-method qualitative studyNorthcentral University, Prescott, AZ
01/2008 to 02/2009
Project Goal: This multi-level qualitative study explores faculty members’ perceptions and experiences about teaching and learning online.
Institute for Educators in Healthcare: Learning to TeachDuke Endowment
01/2008 to 07/2009
Role: Project Faculty
Project Goal: This project is aimed to increase the numbers and educational skill levels of clinicians and to help new and inexperienced teachers assume a teaching role. The target audience is allied health and nursing faculty but applies to any profession where excellent clinicians become faculty without any educational training.
Travel Grant Award for STTI Research CongressSTTI Kappa Tau Chapter, University of Vermont
07/2006 to 07/2006
Travel Grant to attend 2006 Sigma Theta Tau Research Congress in Montreal, Canada (July, 2006)
Nurses’ perception of stigma among individuals with schizophrenia: A survey studyFletcher Allen Health Care and University of Vermont
01/2006 to 12/2006
Project Goal: This survey study examines hospital nurses’ perceptions and experiences about patients with schizophrenia.
Cyberincivility in the MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) Learning EnvironmentDuke’s Online Education Initiatives - MOOC Research, Duke University Center for Instructional Technology (CIT)
02/2017 to 07/2018
Project Goal: The purpose of this study is to examine the extent of cyberincivility in the MOOC learning environment and to identify what measures were used to promote a culture of cybercivility.
Enhancing Soft Skills in Online Learning EnvironmentsJump Start Grant, Duke University Center for Instructional Technology (CIT)
07/2016 to 06/2018
Project Goal: The project is aimed at piloting the YouSeeU 3.0 platform in an existing online course to assess students’ perceptions and perspectives on online verbal communication tasks, as well as collaboration effectiveness in online learning environments. Expected outcomes of this project are to obtain new practical insights into both (1) pedagogical and technological opportunities, and (2) constraints of teaching and assessing verbal presentation skills and group work/collaboration in online courses.
Nurses and Nursing Students on TwitterInstitute for Educational Excellence, Duke University School of Nursing
01/2017 to 12/2017
Project Goal: The purpose of this data mining study is to examine the characteristics of self-identified nurses and nursing students on Twitter and how they use Twitter, with a specific focus on cybercivility.
Validation and Reliability of a KR-TB-WEB (Korean Version of Toileting Behaviors-Women’s Eliminating Behaviors) related to Urinary Incontinence2016 Academic Research Fund, Gangneung-Wonju National University, Wonju, South Korea
11/2016 to 12/2017
Role: Researcher Abroad
Project Goal: This research aims at developing the Korean version of the TB-WEB developed by Drs. Palmer and Wang through its translation, validation, and evaluation, which can offer a basis for Korean nurses to understand the factors involved in Korean women’s toileting behavior and to facilitate the development of behavioral interventions designed to prevent and manage female lower urinary track symptoms.
Needs assessment of cybercivility learning in an interprofessional educationDuke Academy for Health Professions Education and Academic Development (AHEAD)
11/2016 to 10/2017
Project Goal: The goal of this mixed methods study is to conduct a needs assessment to facilitate the development of interprofessional cybercivility learning modules and curriculum resources for health professions students.
Cross-cultural comparison of social isolation, health promotion lifestyle, and health related quality of life between elders in Korea and in the United StatesChangshin University, Changwon, South Gyeongsang Province, South Korea
11/2015 to 10/2017
Role: Researcher Abroad
Project Goal: The goal of this comparative study is to describe and compare the characteristics and the factors affecting social isolation, health promotion lifestyle, and health related quality in the two groups.