Katherine C. Pereira, DNP, RN, FNP-BC, ADM-BC, FAAN, FAANP
Kathy Pereira is Director of the Doctor of Nursing Practice program and holds dual appointments as Assistant Clinical Professor at the Duke School of Nursing and Nurse Practitioner in the Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Nutrition of the Duke University Medical Center. She is a Fellow of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners and the American Academy of Nursing.
Dr. Pereira earned her BSN at the University of Virginia, her MSN in the Family Nurse Practitioner program at the Duke University School of Nursing, and her DNP at the Duke University School of Nursing. She has considerable experience in the clinical care of patients with complicated diabetes, and is board certified in Advanced Diabetes Management. Her areas of interest include diabetes care, polycystic ovary syndrome and global health.
Academic Program Affiliations
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
- Master of Science in Nursing Program
- DNP - Duke University School of Nursing
- MSN - Duke University School of Nursing
- BSN - University of Virginia
Research InterestsDiabetes Prevention
Care of Type 2 Diabetes
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Cardiac Risk Factor Modification
Diabetes and Pregnancy
Insulin Pump Therapy
Awards and Honors
- 2015 || Outstanding MSN Faculty Award, Duke University School of Nursing
- 2014 || Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
- 2013 || Fellow, American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- 2013 || Outstanding MSN Faculty Award, Duke University School of Nursing
- 2013 || Selected to participate in Global Nursing Leadership Institute, International Council of Nurses
- 2012 || North Carolina State Award for Excellence, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- 2011 || Selected to participate in 2012 NCNA Leadership Academy, North Carolina Nurses Association
- 2010 || Appointed to North Carolina Board of Nursing APRN Advisory Council
- 2002 || Sigma Theta Tau, Nursing Honor Society
- 2011 -- Pereira, K. and Nicollerat, J. Continuous glucose monitors: A GPS for blood sugar control? Advance for NPs and PAs. January 28, 2011 2(2); 40-48.
- 2009 -- Setji, T. L. and Pereira, K. C. and Bethel, M. A. and Jarman, A. F. Signposts and pathways: Multidimensional care for patients with Type 2 diabetes (Monograph). July 31, 2009 .
- 2006 -- PubMed # : 16492691 -- Setji, T. L. and Holland, N. D. and Sanders, L. L. and Pereira, K. C. and Diehl, A. M. and Brown, A. J. Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and nonalcoholic Fatty liver disease in young women with polycystic ovary syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 91(5); 1741-7.
- 2008 -- Pereira, K. C. and Brown, A. Postpartum thyroiditis: Not just a worn out Mom. Journal for Nurse Practitioners. March, 2008 4(3); 175-182, 184.
- 2011 -- Pereira, K. Insulin pumps for Type 2 diabetes: A useful tool? Practical Diabetology. March, 2011 30(1); 26-27.
- 2012 -- Pereira, K. C. Eyes 2012 .
- 2013 -- Hill, R. R. and Vorderstrasse, A. and Turner, B. and Pereira, K. and Thompson, J. Screening for depression in patients with diabetes: Addressing the challenge. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. April, 2013 9(4); 208-213.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 24170531 -- Pearce, M. J. and Pereira, K. and Davis, E. The psychological impact of diabetes: A practical guide for the nurse practitioner. J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. November, 2013 25(11); 578-83.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 23916915 -- Crowley, M. J. and Bosworth, H. B. and Coffman, C. J. and Lindquist, J. H. and Neary, A. M. and Harris, A. C. and Datta, S. K. and Granger, B. B. and Pereira, K. and Dolor, R. J. and Edelman, D. Tailored Case Management for Diabetes and Hypertension (TEACH-DM) in a community population: study design and baseline sample characteristics. Contemp Clin Trials. September, 2013 36(1); 298-306.
- 2013 -- Pereira, K. and Cantaglio, V. Stopping medications before knee or hip surgery (Advisor Forum) Clinical Advisor. December 6, 2013 .
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 24713420 -- Johnson, C. and Feinglos, M. and Pereira, K. and Hassell, N. and Blascovich, J. and Nicollerat, J. and Beresford, H. F. and Levy, J. and Vorderstrasse, A. Feasibility and preliminary effects of a virtual environment for adults with Type 2 diabetes: Pilot study. JMIR Res Protoc. April, 2014 3(2); e23.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 25238257 -- Pereira, K. and Phillips, B. and Johnson, C. and Vorderstrasse, A. Internet delivered diabetes self-management education: a review. Diabetes Technol Ther. January, 2015 17(1); 55-63.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 25567758 -- Edelman, D. and Dolor, R. J. and Coffman, C. J. and Pereira, K. C. and Granger, B. B. and Lindquist, J. H. and Neary, A. M. and Harris, A. J. and Bosworth, H. B. Nurse-led behavioral management of diabetes and hypertension in community practices: a randomized trial. J Gen Intern Med. May, 2015 30(5); 626-33. PMC4395596
- 2013 -- Johnson, C. and Feenan, K. and Setliff, G. and Pereira, K. and Hassell, N. and Beresford, H. F. and Epps, S. and Nicollerat, J. and Tatum, W. and Feinglos, M. and Vorderstrasse, A. Building a virtual environment for diabetes self-management education and support International Journal of Virtual Communities and Social Networking (IJVCSN). 2013 5(3); 1-13.
Grant Funding (Selected)
eHealth: Second Life Impacts Diabetes Education & Self-Management (SLIDES)National Institutes of Health
05/2010 to 05/2012
Project goal: Develop an immersive diabetes community (SLIDES) in Second Life and assess its feasibility and acceptability.
Advanced Diabetes Management for Nurse PractitionersDepartment of Health and Human Services
07/2007 to 06/2010
Role: Education Director of Institutional Training Program
Project Goal: To prepare expert advanced practice nurses in the prevention and management of diabetes, particularly in high risk and underserved populations
Tailored Case Management for Diabetes and HypertensionNational Institutes of Health
12/2007 to 11/2012
Project Goal: To assess the effects of tailored telephone case management for patients with diabetes and hypertension