Kathleen M. Turner, DNP, RN
Kathleen Turner teaches core courses in the MSN and ABSN Programs including: professional development, leadership and transition courses. She also mentors DNP students with their scholarly projects.
Dr. Turner earned her BSN at the University of Vermont and her MSN (Nursing Administration) and DNP at the Duke University School of Nursing. She has over thirty years of experience in adult health critical care, administration and education. Kathy has held numerous managerial and leadership positions: Assistant Head Nurse, Nurse Manager, and Clinical Educator. She has been on faculty at the Duke School of Nursing since 2002. She is a member of the American Association of Critical Care Nurses, American Nurses Association, North Carolina Nurses Association, American Organization of Nurse Executives and Sigma Theta Tau International. Her areas of interest, scholarship and research include: Baccalaureate Nursing Education, Leadership in Health Care and Nursing, Ethics in Health Care, End of Life Care, Adult Health Clinical Practice and Intensive Care Nursing, Patient Safety and Interprofessional Education.
Academic Program Affiliations
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
- Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program
- DNP - Duke University School of Nursing
- MSN - Duke University School of Nursing
- BSN - University of Vermont
Research InterestsResearch Interests include: ● Baccalaureate Nursing Education (Accelerated) ● End of Life Care ● Leadership in Health Care and Nursing ● Ethics in Health Care ● Adult Health Clinical Practice and Intensive Care Nursing ● Patient Safety
Awards and Honors
- 2007 || ABSN Faculty Excellence Award in Teaching, Duke University School of Nursing
- 2005 || Great 100 Nurses in North Carolina
- 2000 || Nominated for Friends of Nursing Educator Award, DUMC Friends of Nursing
- 1998 || Nominated for Friends of Nursing Educator Award, DUMC Friends of Nursing
- 1992 || Inducted, Sigma Theta Tau International
- 2007 -- PubMed # : 17912995 -- Utley-Smith, Q. and Phillips, B. and Turner, K. Avoiding socialization pitfalls in accelerated second-degree nursing education: the returning-to-school syndrome model. J Nurs Educ. 46(9); 423-6.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 23117793 -- Turner, K. and Frush, K. and Hueckel, R. and Relf, M. V. and Thornlow, D. and Champagne, M. T. Implementation of the Josie King Care Journal in a pediatric intensive care unit: a quality improvement project. J Nurs Care Qual. July-September, 2013 28(3); 257-64.
- 2012 -- Kaplow, R. and Turner, K. and Relf, M. V. Critical care nursing practice: Excellence through caring, collaboration and evidence (Chapter 1). October, 2012 .
- 2013 -- Turner, K. M. and Chudgar, S. M. and Engle, D. and Molloy, M. A. and Phillips, B. C. and Stevenson, E. L. and Clay, A. S. "It takes a village": An interprofessional patient safety experience for nursing and medical students. Medical Science Educator. 2013 23(3S); 449-456.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 24834629 -- Oermann, M. H. and Turner, K. and Carman, M. Preparing quality improvement, research, and evidence-based practice manuscripts. Nurs Econ. June, 2014 32(2); 57-63, 69; quiz 64.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 25535756 -- Oermann, M. H. and Leonardelli, A. K. and Turner, K. M. and Hawks, S. J. and Derouin, A. L. and Hueckel, R. M. Systematic review of educational programs and strategies for developing students' and nurses' writing skills. J Nurs Educ. January, 2015 54(1); 28-34.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 26247659 -- Derouin, A. L. and Hueckel, R. M. and Turner, K. M. and Hawks, S. J. and Leonardelli, A. K. and Oermann, M. H. Use of Workshops to Develop Nurses' and Nursing Students' Writing Skills. J Contin Educ Nurs. 46(8); 364-9.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 26506864 -- Stevenson, E. and Chudgar, S. M. and Turner, K. and Molloy, M. and Phillips, B. and Engle, D. L. and Clay, A. S. How We Engage Graduating Professional Students in Interprofessional Patient Safety. Nurs Forum. October, 2015 Epub ahead of print .
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 26534870 -- Hawks, S. J. and Turner, K. M. and Derouin, A. L. and Hueckel, R. M. and Leonardelli, A. K. and Oermann, M. H. Writing Across the Curriculum: Strategies to Improve the Writing Skills of Nursing Students. Nurs Forum. November, 2015 Epub ahead of print .