Leigh Ann Simmons, PhD, MFT
Dr. Leigh Ann Simmons is Associate Professor and Chair of the Faculty Governance Association in the Duke University School of Nursing. The overall aim of her research is to promote population health equity by reducing disparities in chronic disease risk among vulnerable and medically underserved populations. Her research has been funded by the USDA, the NIH, the Veterans Health Administration, and her universities of employment. Dr. Simmons has published extensively and presented nationally and internationally in three main areas: (1) characterizing co-occurring chronic disease risk factors for specific health disparities populations (e.g., rural, racial/ethnic minorities, low socioeconomic status); (2) understanding the impact of early life exposures (e.g., prenatal, family, and community environments) on later life chronic disease risk; and (3) developing and testing personalized behavior change interventions to reduce chronic disease risk behaviors. She has a specific interest in addressing obesity and depression, which often co-occur and serve as gateway conditions to common disorders, including cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and cancer. In addition to her work in DUSON, Dr. Simmons serves as Faculty Director and Chair of the Steering Committee for ABC Thrive, an interdisciplinary, university-wide early childhood research initiative, and Chair of the Faculty Advisory Committee for Bass Connections, a university-wide educational and research initiative.
Dr. Simmons earned a PhD in child and family development from the University of Georgia, a master's degree in couple and family therapy from MCP-Hahnemann University (now Drexel University), and a BA in literature/writing from the University of California at San Diego. Between 2005-2010 she served as a Health Disparities Scholar through the NIH Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities. Prior to coming to DUSON she was assistant professor in the departments of Family Studies and Health Services Management at the University of Kentucky, where she was also a Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women’s Health Scholar, and in the Division of General Internal Medicine in the Duke University School of Medicine. Dr. Simmons has extensive policy experience, having served as a Congressional Fellow on the Senate Health Education Labor and Pensions Committee for the late Senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-MA).
Academic Program Affiliations
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
- PhD in Nursing Program
- Ph.D. - University of Georgia at Athens
- MFT - MCP-Hahnemann University
- BA - University of California - San Diego
Awards and Honors
- 2012 || Selected Participant, Duke LEADER program (Leadership Development for Researchers)
- 2010 || Featured in "101 Careers in Public Health" by Beth Seltzer
- 2007 || Futures 100 Award, University of Kentucky School of Human Environmental Sciences
- 2006 || Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women’s Health Scholar (2006-2008), University of Kentucky
- 2005 || Selected Participant, Circles of Power: Women Faculty in Leadership (2005-2006), University of Kentucky’s President’s Commission on Women
- 2005 || University of Georgia Robert C. Anderson Memorial Award Nominee, Nominated by Dean, College of Family and Consumer Sciences
- 2004 || Inducted, Phi Kappa Phi National Academic Honor Society
- 2004 || National Council on Family Relations Ruth Hathaway Jewson Graduate Research/Dissertation Award, National Council on Family Relations
- 2004 || National Council on Family Relations Student/New Professional Award, National Council on Family Relations
- 2003 || Congressional Fellow Award, College of Family and Consumer Sciences, The University of Georgia
- 2002 || Certificate of Merit Conference Submission Paper, National Council on Family Relations Family Therapy Section
- 2002 || inducted, Gamma Sigma Delta International Honor Society of Agriculture
- 2001 || Karen R. Davis Scholarship (2001-2002), The University of Georgia
- 2001 || University-wide Assistantship (2001-2002), Boyd Center for Graduate Research, The University of Georgia
- 2000 || Award for Academic Excellence, MCP-Hahnemann University School of Health Professions
- 2000 || Inducted, Alpha Eta National Honor Society for Allied Health Professionals
- 1993 || Santa Clara County, California Award for Outstanding Victim Support, Santa Clara County, CA
Areas of Interest
personalized health care
- 2012 -- PubMed # : 22510081 -- Simmons, L. A. and Huddleston-Casas, C. A. and Morgan, K. A. and Feldman, D. Mixed methods study of management of health conditions in rural low-income families: implications for health care policy in the USA. Rural Remote Health. April, 2012 12 1879.
- 2009 -- PubMed # : 18789167 -- Huddleston-Casas, C. and Charnigo, R. and Simmons, L. A. Food insecurity and maternal depression in rural, low-income families: a longitudinal investigation. Public Health Nutr. August, 2009 12(8); 1133-40.
- 2009 -- PubMed # : 19082907 -- Simmons, L. A. and Swanberg, J. E. Psychosocial work environment and depressive symptoms among US workers: comparing working poor and working non-poor. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. August, 2009 44(8); 628-35.
- 2009 -- PubMed # : 19217001 -- Simmons, L. A. and Havens, J. R. and Whiting, J. B. and Holz, J. L. and Bada, H. Illicit drug use among women with children in the United States: 2002-2003. Ann Epidemiol. March, 2009 19(3); 187-93.
- 2009 -- PubMed # : 18778900 -- Havens, J. R. and Simmons, L. A. and Shannon, L. M. and Hansen, W. F. Factors associated with substance use during pregnancy: results from a national sample. Drug Alcohol Depend. January, 2009 99(1-3); 89-95.
- 2008 -- PubMed # : 17691878 -- Simmons, L. A. and Huddleston-Casas, C. and Berry, A. A. Low-income rural women and depression: factors associated with self-reporting. Am J Health Behav. February, 2008 31(6); 657-66.
- 2008 -- PubMed # : 18643807 -- Simmons, L. A. and Braun, B. and Charnigo, R. and Havens, J. R. and Wright, D. W. Depression and poverty among rural women: a relationship of social causation or social selection? J Rural Health. Summer, 2008 24(3); 292-298.
- 2008 -- PubMed # : 18843940 -- Simmons, L. A. and Anderson, E. A. and Braun, B. Health needs and health care utilization among rural, low-income women. Women Health. October, 2008 47(4); 53-69.
- 2007 -- PubMed # : 17876187 -- Simmons, L. A. Self-perceived burden in cancer patients: validation of the Self-perceived Burden Scale. Cancer Nurs. October, 2007 30(5); 405-11.
- 2007 -- PubMed # : 17475981 -- Brody, A. C. and Simmons, L. A. Family resiliency during childhood cancer: the father's perspective. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. June, 2007 24(3); 152-65.
- 2007 -- PubMed # : 16978706 -- Simmons, L. A. and Havens, J. R. Comorbid substance and mental disorders among rural Americans: results from the National Comorbidity Survey. J Affect Disord. April, 2007 99(1-3); 265-71.
- 2006 -- PubMed # : 20859354 -- Simmons, L. A. and Modesitt, S. C. and Brody, A. C. and Leggin, A. B. Food insecurity among cancer patients in Kentucky: a pilot study. J Oncol Pract. November, 2006 2(6); 274-9.
- 2004 -- PubMed # : 15774349 -- Simmons, L. A. and Wright, D. W. National practice guidelines for mental health care: a comparative policy analysis of the United kingdom and the United States. J Health Soc Policy. October, 2004 19(2); 59-80.
- 2011 -- Carlton, E. L. and Simmons, L. A. Health decision-making among rural women: physician access and prescription adherence. Rural and Remote Health. March, 2011 11(1599); .
- 2009 -- Bryan, E. and Simmons, L. A. Family involvement: Impacts on post-secondary educational success for first-generation Appalachian college students. Journal of College Student Development. July/August, 2009 50(4); 391-406.
- 2009 -- Whiting, J. B. and Simmons, L. A. and Havens, J. R. and Smith, D. B. and Oka, M. Intergenerational transmission of violence: the influence of self-appraisals, mental disorders and substance abuse. Journal of Family Violence. November, 2009 24(8); 639-648.
- 2007 -- Simmons, L. A. and Dolan, E. M. and Braun, B. Rhetoric and reality of economic self-sufficiency among rural, low-income mothers: A longitudinal study. Journal of Family and Economic Issues. September, 2007 28(3); 489-505.
- 2007 -- Wright, D. W. and Simmons, L. A. and Campbell, K. Does a marriage ideal exist? Using Q-sort methodology to compare young adults' and professional educators' views on healthy marriages. Contemporary Family Therapy: An International Journal. December, 2007 29(4); 223-236.
- 2007 -- Simmons, L. A. and Braun, B. and Wright, D. W. and Miller, S. R. Human capital, social support, and economic well-being among rural, low-income mothers: A latent growth curve analysis. Journal of Family and Economic Issues. December, 2007 28(4); 635-652.
- 2008 -- Swanberg, J. E. and Simmons, L. A. Quality jobs in the new millennium: Incorporating flexible work options as a strategy to assist working families. Social Service Review. March, 2008 82(1); 119-147.
- 2008 -- Simmons, L. A. and Edwards, E. J. and Crofford, L. J. Blue to You: Part 1. Depression in children and adolescents. [Facilitator Guide]. 2008 .
- 2008 -- Simmons, L. A. and Edwards, E. J. and Crofford, L. J. Blue to You: Part 2. Women and depression. [Facilitator Guide]. 2008 .
- 2008 -- Simmons, L. A. and Edwards, E. J. and Crofford, L. J. Blue to You: Part 3. Postpartum depression. [Facilitator Guide]. 2008 .
- 2008 -- Simmons, L. A. and Edwards, E. J. and Crofford, L. J. Blue to You: Part 4. Depression in men. [Facilitator Guide]. 2008 .
- 2008 -- Simmons, L. A. and Edwards, E. J. and Crofford, L. J. Blue to You: Part 5. Depression in older adults. [Facilitator Guide]. 2008 .
- 2007 -- Simmons, L. A. and Swanberg, J. E. Job quality and self-rated health among the working poor. Insights on Southern Poverty. 2007 5(1); 6-7.
- 2006 -- Simmons, L. A. Health: Essential to rural, low-income mothers’ economic well-being. Rural Families Speak Project Fact Sheet. 2006 .
- 2006 -- Simmons, L. A. Health: An essential resource for rural, low-income mothers’ economic self-sufficiency. Rural Families Speak Project Policy Brief. 2006 .
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 23633969 -- Perlman, A. and Lontok, O. and Huhmann, M. and Parrott, J. S. and Simmons, L. A. and Patrick-Miller, L. Prevalence and correlates of postdiagnosis initiation of complementary and alternative medicine among patients at a comprehensive cancer center. J Oncol Pract. January, 2013 9(1); 34-41. PMC3545661
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 23356591 -- Perlman, A. I. and Lebow, D. G. and Raphael, K. and Ali, A. and Simmons, L. A. A point-of-sale communications campaign to provide consumers safety information on drug-dietary supplement interactions: a pilot study. Health Commun. October, 2013 28(7); 729-39. PMC3767765
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 23114034 -- Yang, N. and Ginsburg, G. S. and Simmons, L. A. Personalized medicine in women's obesity prevention and treatment: implications for research, policy and practice. Obes Rev. February, 2013 14(2); 145-61.
- 2013 -- Simmons, L. When science should be the arbiter of moral conflict . February 17, 2013 .
- 2013 -- Berchuck, A. and Ginsburg, G. S. and Simmons, L. A. Genomic and personalized medicine ACOG Update. March 1, 2013 38(9); 1-9.
- 2013 -- Smith, L. L. and Lake, N. H. and Simmons, L. A. and Perlman, A. and Wroth, S. and Wolever, R. Q. Integrative health coach training: A model for shifting the paradigm toward patient-centricity and meeting new national prevention goals. Global Advances in Health and Medicine. May, 2013 2(3); 66-74.
- 2013 -- Simmons, L. A. and Wolever, R. Q. Integrative health coaching and motivational interviewing: synergistic approaches to behavior change in healthcare. Global Advances in Health and Medicine. July, 2013 2(4); 28-35.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 24278848 -- Yang, N. Y. and Wroth, S. and Parham, C. and Strait, M. and Simmons, L. A. Personalized health planning with integrative health coaching to reduce obesity risk among women gaining excess weight during pregnancy. Glob Adv Health Med. July, 2013 2(4); 72-7. PMC3833555
- 2013 -- Simmons, L. and Berman, S. Taking a more personalized approach to the obesity epidemic Medscape Genomic Medicine. November 25, 2013 .
- 2010 -- PubMed # : 20844424 -- Dinan, M. A. and Simmons, L. A. and Snyderman, R. Commentary: Personalized health planning and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: an opportunity for academic medicine to lead health care reform. Acad Med. November, 2010 85(11); 1665-8.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 24571651 -- Simmons, L. A. and Wolever, R. Q. and Bechard, E. M. and Snyderman, R. Patient engagement as a risk factor in personalized health care: a systematic review of the literature on chronic disease. Genome Med. February, 2014 6(2); 16.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 24416684 -- Wolever, R. Q. and Simmons, L. A. and Sforzo, G. A. and Dill, D. and Kaye, M. and Bechard, E. M. and Southard, M. E. and Kennedy, M. and Vosloo, J. and Yang, N. A Systematic Review of the Literature on Health and Wellness Coaching: Defining a Key Behavioral intervention in Healthcare. Glob Adv Health Med. July, 2013 2(4); 38-57.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 24416683 -- Simmons, L. A. and Wolever, R. Q. Integrative Health Coaching and Motivational interviewing: Synergistic Approaches to Behavior Change in Healthcare. Glob Adv Health Med. 2(4); 28-35.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 24905745 -- Simmons, L. A. and Wu, Q. and Yang, N. and Bush, H. M. and Crofford, L. J. Sources of health information among rural women in Western Kentucky. Public Health Nurs. January, 2015 32(1); 3-14.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 25491274 -- Bice-Wigington, T. and Simmons, L. A. and Huddleston-Casas, C. An ecological perspective on rural, low-income mothers' health. Soc Work Public Health. 30(2); 129-43.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 25854543 -- Katsanis, S. H. and Minear, M. A. and Vorderstrasse, A. and Yang, N. and Reeves, J. W. and Rakhra-Burris, T. and Cook-Deegan, R. and Ginsburg, G. S. and Simmons, L. A. Perspectives on genetic and genomic technologies in an academic medical center: the Duke experience. J Pers Med. April, 2015 5(2); 67-82.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 26236542 -- Vorderstrasse, A. and Katsanis, S. H. and Minear, M. A. and Yang, N. and Rakhra-Burris, T. and Reeves, J. W. and Cook-Deegan, R. and Ginsburg, G. S. and Simmons, L. A. Perceptions of Personalized Medicine in an Academic Health System: Educational Findings. J Contemp Med Educ. April 13, 2015 3(1); 14-19. PMC4520318
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 26089032 -- Collins, D. A. and Shamblen, S. R. and Atwood, K. A. and Rychener, D. L. and Scarbrough, W. H. and Abadi, M. H. and Simmons, L. A. Evaluation of a Health Coaching Course for Providers and Staff in Veterans Health Affairs Medical Facilities. J Prim Care Community Health. October, 2015 6(4); 250-5.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 25673578 -- Williams, H. and Simmons, L. A. and Tanabe, P. Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in Advanced Nursing Practice: A Nonpharmacologic Approach to Health Promotion, Chronic Disease Management, and Symptom Control. J Holist Nurs. September, 2015 33(3); 247-59. PMC4532647
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 26118332 -- Dardas, L. A. and Simmons, L. A. The stigma of mental illness in Arab families: a concept analysis. J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs. November, 2015 22(9); 668-79.
- 2015 -- Simmons, L. A. and Yang, N. Y. and Wu, Q. and Bush, H. M. and Crofford, L. J. Public and personal depression stigma in a rural American female sample. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. July, 2015, Epub ahead of print .
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 26577555 -- Simmons, L. A. and Yang, N. Y. and Wu, Q. and Bush, H. M. and Crofford, L. J. Public and personal depression stigma in a rural American female sample. Arch Psychiatr Nurs. 29(6); 407-12.
- 2016 -- 2. Simmons, L. A., Drake, C. D., Gaudet, T. & Snyderman, R. Personalized health planning in Veterans Health Administration primary care settings Federal Practitioner. 33(1); 27-34.
- 2016 -- PubMed # : 27168124 -- Dardas, L. A. and Bailey Jr, D. E. and Simmons, L. A. Adolescent Depression in the Arab Region: A Systematic Literature Review. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 37(8); 569-585.
- 2016 -- PubMed # : 27377312 -- Noonan, D. and Dardas, L. and Bice-Wigington, T. and Sloane, R. and Benjamin, R. and Choi, S. H. and Simmons, L. A. Understanding Multiple Behavioral Risk Factors for Cancer in Rural Women. Public Health Nurs. .
- 2016 -- Seldon, L.E., McDonough, K., Turner, B.T., & Simmons, L. Evaluation of a hospital-based pneumonia nurse navigator program Journal of Nursing Administration. .
- 2016 -- PubMed # : 27701136 -- Dardas, L. A. and Silva, S. and Noonan, D. and Simmons, L. A. A pilot study of depression, stigma, and attitudes towards seeking professional psychological help among Arab adolescents. Int J Adolesc Med Health. .
- 2017 -- Yang, N. Y., Wolever, R., Roberts, R., Perlman, A., Dolor, R., Abrams, D., Ginsburg, G., & Simmons, L. A. Integrative health care services utilization as a function of body mass index: A BraveNet Practice Based Research Network Study Advances in Integrative Medicine. 2017 4(1); 14-21.
- 2017 -- Dardas, L. A., Silva, S. Noonan, D., & Simmons, L. A. Studying depression among Arab adolescents: Methodological considerations, challenges, and lessons learned from Jordan Stigma and Health. April, 2017 .
- 2017 -- Dardas, L. A., Silva, S., Smoski, M., Noonan, D., & Simmons, L. A. Personal and perceived depression stigma among Jordanian adolescents: Associations with depression severity and personal characteristics Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 2017 5 499-506.
- 2017 -- Williams, H., Silva, S., Simmons, L. A., & Tanabe, P. A telephonic mindfulness-based intervention for persons with sickle cell disease: Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial Trials. 2017 18 218.
- 2017 -- O’Connell, T. M., Wroth, S. W., Sánchez, C. L., Swamy, G., Newgard, C., Kuhn, C., Bilbo, S. D., Simmons, L. A. Perinatal Western-type diet and associated gestational weight gain alter postpartum maternal mood Brain & Behavior. 2017 7(10); e00828.
- 2017 -- Dardas, L. A., Silva, S., van de Water, B., Vance, A., Smoski, M. J., Noonan, D., & Simmons, L. A. Psychosocial correlates of Jordanian adolescents’ help-seeking intentions for depression: A nationally representative school survey Journal of School Nursing. September, 2017 .
- 2017 -- Dardas, L. A., van de Water, B., & Simmons, L. A. Parental involvement in adolescent depression interventions: A systematic review of randomized trials International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. 2017 .
- 2018 -- Noonan, D., Silva, S. ,Njuru, J., Bishop, T., Fish, L. J., Simmons, L. A., Choi, S. H., Pollack, K. I. Feasibility of a text-based smoking cessation intervention in rural older adults Health Education Research. .
- 2018 -- Dardas, L. A., Silva, S., Smoski, M., Noonan, D., & Simmons, L. A. Adolescent depression in Jordan: Symptoms profile, gender differences, and the role of social context . Journal of Psychosocial Nursing & Mental Health Services. 56(2); 44-55.
- 2018 -- Dardas, L. A., Silva, S., Smoski, M., Noonan, D., & Simmons, L. A. The prevalence of depression symptoms among Arab adolescents: Findings from Jordan. Public Health Nursing. .
- 2018 -- Collins, D. A., Thompson, K., Atwood, K. A., Abadi, M. H., Rychener, D. L., Simmons, L. A. Integration of health coaching concepts and skills into clinical practice among VA providers: A qualitative study Global Advances in Health and Medicine. .
Grant Funding (Selected)
Addressing Tobacco Use Disparities through an Innovative Mobile Phone Intervention: The textto4gosmokelesstobaccoNational Institutes of Health
08/2015 to 07/2018
A Mindfulness-based Intervention for Pain Catastrophizing in Sickle Cell DiseaseNational Institutes of Health
09/2014 to 08/2017
This project will be the first randomized controlled trial (RCT) of mindfulness-based stress reduction to reduce pain catastrophizing, and improve quality of life for sickle cell disease patients with chronic pain.
Maternal Nutrition and the Developing BrainBass Connections
06/2013 to 05/2015
Role: Team Leader/Co-PI
Interdisciplinary translational study examining relationship of nutrition to levels of branched chain amino acids and incidence of depression in female mice and humans who have just given birth.
Patient Engagement Strategies and Training to Improve Patient-Centered Care in the VHAVeterans Health Administration (sub-contract with the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation)
10/2013 to 09/2014
Role: Subcontract Principal Investigator
Personalized Medicine in Women’s Obesity PreventionDuke Center for Personalized Medicine
03/2011 to 02/2013
Role: Principal Investigator
The primary aim of this pilot study is to test the feasibility and effectiveness of a personalized health planning with integrative health coaching (PHP-IHC) intervention to prevent postpartum weight retention (PPWR) in women, a documented risk factor for mid-life obesity and related morbidities. A secondary aim is to develop for future validation a preliminary risk profile for PPWR that includes molecular data, which will enable better prediction – and thus prevention – of PPWR, thereby further enhancing the capabilities of PHP-IHC.
The Role of Satiety Proteins in Pregnancy Outcomes and Postpartum Weight RetentionCharles Hammond Fund (Duke Obstetrics)
07/2011 to 06/2012
Role: Mentor/Co-Principal Investigator
Depression & CHD: Cellular-Molecular MechanismsNational Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) / National Institutes of Health
10/2010 to 09/2014
Rural Maternal Mental Health DisparitiesNational Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NCMHD) / National Institutes of Health
07/2009 to 06/2010
Role: Principal Investigator
Blue to You: A Women’s Mental Health Awareness CampaignUS Department of Agriculture/Cooperative State Research, Education, & Extension Service / Health Educatioin through Extension Leadership
09/2007 to 08/2008
Role: Principal Investigator
SUPPORT: Supporting Positive Pregnancy Outcomes in Rural TownsMarch of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation
02/2007 to 08/2008
Role: Co-Principal Investigator
SUPPORT: Supporting Positive Pregnancy Outcomes in Rural TownsUniversity of Kentucky Research Foundation
04/2007 to 03/2008
Role: Co-Principal Investigator
The Role of Family for Appalachian College StudentsUniversity of Kentucky Center for Poverty Research
03/2006 to 06/2006
Role: Principal Investigator/Faculty Advisor
Community Medicine Joint Learning AgreementKettering Foundation
11/2005 to 10/2006
Effects of Health Status on Individual/Family DevelopmentNational Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities (NCMHD) / National Institutes of Health
07/2005 to 06/2007
Role: Principal Investigator
Working Poor Blues: Work, Depression, & Labor Force Attachment among Working Poor ParentsUniversity of Kentucky Center for Poverty Research
01/2005 to 12/2005
Role: Principal Investigator
Duke Center for REearch to AdvanCe Healthcare (REACH) EquityDuke Health Disparities Center
1 U54 MD012530-01
09/2017 to 06/2022
Role: Co-Investigator / Co-Director, Research, Education, and Training Subcore
Establish the Duke Center for REearch to AdvanCe Healthcare (REACH) Equity, which focuses on establishing an infrastructure to conduct health equity research and develop scholars with expertise in this area.
Postdoctoral Training in Genomic Medicine Research1 T32 HG008955 01A1
06/2017 to 05/2022
Establish a training program for emerging and established investigators to develop programs of research in genomic medicine.
All Babies and Children Thrive (ABC Thrive)Sperling Family Charitable Foundation / Duke Office of the Vice Provost for Interdisciplinary Studies
09/2017 to 08/2020
Role: Faculty Director and Chair, Steering Committee
University-wide, interdisciplinary research initiative to fuel innovations in early childhood development.
GROWell OnlineDUSON Center for Nursing Research
03/2018 to 02/2019
Pilot study to adapt GROWell Online, a digital intervention to improve diet during pregnancy, for Spanish-speaking women with overweight/obesity (Texto Para Mi Mejor Salud).
Depression Stigma Among Arab AdolescentsSigma Theta Tau International/Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science
07/2016 to 06/2017
Goals for Reaching Optimal Wellness (GROWell): A Pilot Study of a Dietary Intervention During Pregnancy to Reduce Risk for Postpartum DepressionDuke University School of Nursing Center for Nursing Research
03/2016 to 02/2017
Role: Principal Investigator
Goals for Reaching Optimal Wellness (GROWell): A Pilot Study of a Dietary Intervention During Pregnancy to Reduce Risk for Postpartum DepressionDUSON Center for Nursing Research
03/2016 to 02/2017
Test the feasibility and preliminary efficacy of a mobile intervention to help pregnant women change dietary consumption from primarily Western diet to a primarily prudent diet.