Lisa S. Lewis, EdD, MSN, RN, CNE
Lisa S. Lewis, EdD, MSN, RN, CNE, joined DUSON’s on July 1, 2017 and is a member of the Healthcare in Adult Populations Division.
Dr. Lewis has been part of the Duke community for twenty years, as a nursing instructor at Watts School of Nursing for nine of those years, and prior to that as a staff nurse in the Emergency Department and the Neuroscience ICU at Duke University Hospital.
With strong clinical background in neuroscience and emergency nursing, Dr. Lewis’ research/scholarship interests have included clinical neuroscience topics. She is now primarily focused on educational research in the pre-licensure nursing education setting. Her doctoral dissertation was a qualitative study of nursing students who have to repeat courses and reflects her concern for helping and advising students who are struggling to succeed in nursing school. Her master’s thesis focused on gaming as a classroom learning strategy, and demonstrates her desire for creativity and excellence in teaching didactic content.
Dr. Lewis earned an associate degree in nursing from Erie Community College in Buffalo, New York; her master’s degree in nursing from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; and her doctorate in education from North Carolina State University. She also maintains her certification as a nurse educator.
Academic Program Affiliations
- Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program
- EdD - North Carolina State University
- MSN - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Awards and Honors
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 23996423 -- Olson, D. M. and McNett, M. M. and Lewis, L. S. and Riemen, K. E. and Bautista, C. Effects of nursing interventions on intracranial pressure. Am J Crit Care. 22(5); 431-8.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 23812048 -- Olson, D. M. and Lewis, L. S. and Bader, M. K. and Bautista, C. and Malloy, R. and Riemen, K. E. and McNett, M. M. Significant practice pattern variations associated with intracranial pressure monitoring. J Neurosci Nurs. 45(4); 186-93.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 23758156 -- Dotson, B. J. and Lewis, L. Teaching the quality improvement process to nursing students. J Nurs Educ. 52(7); 398-400.
- 2014 -- Lewis, L. S., McNett, M., Aucoin, J., Riemen, K. & Olson, D.M. Barriers to conducting multicenter nursing research Journal of Nursing and Care. April 22, 2014 3(2); 1-7.
- 2014 -- Lewis, L. S. Outcomes of a concept-based curriculum Teaching and Learning in Nursing. April, 2014 9 75-79.
- 2015 -- Dotson, B.J., Lewis, L.S., Aucoin, J.W., Murray, S., Chapin, D. & Walters, P. Teaching evidence-based practice across a four-semester nursing curriculum Teaching and Learning in Nursing. October, 2015 10(4); 176-180.
- 2015 -- Daugird, D., Everett, M., Jones, M., Lewis, L. & White, A. Diversity and inclusion in social media: A case study of student behavior Journal of Cases in Educational Leadership. 2015 18(1); 92-102.
- 2016 -- Lewis, L. S. Community College Nursing Students’ Experience of Repeating a Course After Academic Failure NCSU Institutional Repository. March 17, 2016 .
- 2016 -- Madden, L.K., Lewis, L.S. & Puccio, A.M. Intracranial Pressure Management 2016 .