Margaret (Peggy) Bush, PhD, MBA, RPh
Margaret “Peggy” Bush joined the DUSON faculty in December, 2012. She will assume co-teaching responsibilities for the Pharmacology courses in both the MSN and ABSN programs. Dr. Bush has more than ten years' experience teaching pharmacology. Her research experience has focused on clinical drug development in the areas of oncology and hematopoietic growth factors. She has practiced as a pharmacist in both hospital and retail settings.
Dr. Bush earned a BS in Pharmacy from The Ohio State University, an MBA in Health Administration at Cleveland State University, and a PhD in Pharmacology from the University of California, Los Angeles. Dr. Bush recently completed a graduate certificate in E-Learning from North Carolina State University. Her professional interests include identifying instructional strategies for teaching pharmacology that engage learners and promote critical thinking through the use of problem-solving approaches.
Academic Program Affiliations
- Master of Science in Nursing Program
- PhD - University of California, Los Angeles
- MBA - Cleveland State University
- BS Pharm - The Ohio State University
Research InterestsDr. Bush’s clinical research experience includes study design and protocol development, operations, management and reporting for Phase 1 through Phase 3 investigational drug studies. Her experience has focused in the areas of oncology and hematopoietic growth factors. Her basic research while at UCLA, identified nitric oxide as the mediator of nonadrenergic, noncholinergic neurotransmission that leads to vascular smooth muscle relaxation in erectile tissue, providing the pharmacological rationale for subsequent clinical development of phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitor drugs for the treatment of erectile dysfunction.
Awards and Honors
- 2005 || Excellence in Teaching Award, Durham Technical Community College
- 1984 || Inducted, Beta Gamma Sigma (Business Scholastic Honorary)
- 1979 || Inducted, Rho Chi Society (Pharmacy Scholastic Honorary)
Areas of Interest
- 1992 -- Bush, P.A. and Aronson, W. J. and Rajfer, J. and Buga, G..M. and Ignarro, L. J. Comparison of nonadrenergic, noncholinergic, and nitric oxide-mediated relaxation of corpus cavernosum. International journal of impotence research. 1992 4 85-93.
- 1992 -- PubMed # : 1378725 -- Bush, P. A. and Gonzalez, N. E. and Ignarro, L. J. Biosynthesis of nitric oxide and citrulline from L-arginine by constitutive nitric oxide synthase present in rabbit corpus cavernosum. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. July, 1992 186(1); 308-14.
- 1992 -- PubMed # : 1378272 -- Bush, P. A. and Gonzalez, N. E. and Griscavage, J. M. and Ignarro, L. J. Nitric oxide synthase from cerebellum catalyzes the formation of equimolar quantities of nitric oxide and citrulline from L-arginine. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. June, 1992 185(3); 960-6.
- 1992 -- PubMed # : 1317469 -- Bush, P. A. and Aronson, W. J. and Buga, G. M. and Rajfer, J. and Ignarro, L. J. Nitric oxide is a potent relaxant of human and rabbit corpus cavernosum. J Urol. June, 1992 147(6); 1650-5.
- 1992 -- PubMed # : 1309211 -- Rajfer, J. and Aronson, W. J. and Bush, P. A. and Dorey, F. J. and Ignarro, L. J. Nitric oxide as a mediator of relaxation of the corpus cavernosum in response to nonadrenergic, noncholinergic neurotransmission. N Engl J Med. January, 1992 326(2); 90-4.
- 1990 -- PubMed # : 1975643 -- Ignarro, L. J. and Bush, P. A. and Buga, G. M. and Rajfer, J. Neurotransmitter identity doubt. Nature. September, 1990 347(6289); 131-2.
- 1990 -- PubMed # : 2166511 -- Ignarro, L. J. and Bush, P. A. and Buga, G. M. and Wood, K. S. and Fukuto, J. M. and Rajfer, J. Nitric oxide and cyclic GMP formation upon electrical field stimulation cause relaxation of corpus cavernosum smooth muscle. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. July, 1990 170(2); 843-50.
- 1989 -- PubMed # : 2510722 -- Gold, M. E. and Bush, P. A. and Ignarro, L. J. Depletion of arterial L-arginine causes reversible tolerance to endothelium-dependent relaxation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. October, 1989 164(2); 714-21.
- 1998 -- Bush, P. Overview of biotechnology. Journal of Pharmacy Practice. 1998 11 6-12.
- 1998 -- Bush, P. Pharmacotherapeutics of biotechnology-derived products. Journal of Pharmacy Practice. 1998 11 54-71.
- 1993 -- Bush, P.A. and Aronson, W.J. and Rajfer, J. and Ignarro, L.J. The L-arginine-nitric oxide-cyclic GMP pathway mediates inhibitory nonadrenergic-noncholinergic neurotransmission in the corpus cavernosum of human and rabbit. Circulation. 1993 87(5); V30-V32.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 25719569 -- Bush, P. A. and Hueckel, R. M. and Robinson, D. and Seelinger, T. A. and Molloy, M. A. Cultivating a Culture of Medication Safety in Prelicensure Nursing Students. Nurse Educ. Jul-Aug, 2015 40(4); 169-73.