Margory (Margie) A. Molloy, DNP, RN, CNE, CHSE
Margie Molloy, DNP, RN, CNE, CHSE, is an assistant professor and director of the Center for Nursing Discovery (CND) at the Duke University School of Nursing. Prior to her role as CND director, she was a clinical research nurse for a nurse interventionist study at the School from 2006 to 2008 and a transplant/research coordinator at Duke University Medical Center from 2001 to 2006.
She holds a BSN from the State University of New York at Downstate Medical Center, an MSN in nursing education from Wagner College and a DNP from Duquesne University. As CND director she works with faculty to incorporate simulation design, implementation and evaluation into their curricula. She also develops interprofessional collaborative experiences that focus on patient safety, effective teamwork and communication.
In 2015, her team received the BAYADA Award for Technological Innovation in Health Professional Education for the use of Google Glass to enhance the realism of simulation for nursing students. In 2010, her team received a Campus Technology Innovators Award for creative use of social media in education. Her innovative use of telepresence robots for distance-based education has garnered local and national media coverage.
She is a member of the North Carolina Nurses Association, TeamSTEPPS (Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality), the International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning and the
Society for Simulation in Healthcare.
Academic Program Affiliations
- Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program
- DNP - Duquesne University
- MSN - Wagner College
- BSN - State University of New York at Downstate Medical Center
Research Interests1. Use of simulation in nursing education 2. Training and assessment of simulation facilitators; preparation of facilitators for Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) exam 3. Methods for effective debriefing 4. Interprofessional education (IPE) 5. Nursing care of bariatric patients 6. Telehealth
Awards and Honors
- 2015 || BAYADA Award for Technological Innovation in Health Professional Education, BAYADA Home Health Care / Drexel University College of Nursing and Health Professions
- 2012 || Outstanding Clinical Instructor Award, Duke University School of Nursing
- 2011 || Excellence in Clinical Teaching Award, Duke University School of Nursing
- 2010 || Campus Technology Innovators Award (Category: Teaching & Learning), Campus Technology, Inc.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 25719569 -- Bush, P. A. and Hueckel, R. M. and Robinson, D. and Seelinger, T. A. and Molloy, M. A. Cultivating a Culture of Medication Safety in Prelicensure Nursing Students. Nurse Educ. February, 2015 .
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 25189535 -- Davis, L. L. and Chestnutt, D. and Molloy, M. and Deshefy-Longhi, T. and Shim, B. and Gilliss, C. L. Adapters, strugglers, and case managers: a typology of spouse caregivers. Qual Health Res. November, 2014 24(11); 1492-500. PMC4350575
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 22459694 -- Van Houtven, C. H. and Thorpe, J. M. and Chestnutt, D. and Molloy, M. and Boling, J. C. and Davis, L. L. Do nurse-led skill training interventions affect informal caregivers' out-of-pocket expenditures? Gerontologist. February, 2013 53(1); 60-70. PMC3551205
- 2011 -- PubMed # : 21531858 -- Davis, L. L. and Gilliss, C. L. and Deshefy-Longhi, T. and Chestnutt, D. H. and Molloy, M. The nature and scope of stressful spousal caregiving relationships. J Fam Nurs. May, 2011 17(2); 224-40. PMC3839348
- 2013 -- Turner, K. M. and Chudgar, S. M. and Engle, D. and Molloy, M. A. and Phillips, B. C. and Stevenson, E. L. and Clay, A. S. "It takes a village": An interprofessional patient safety experience for nursing and medical students. Medical Science Educator. 2013 23(3S); 449-456.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 25468308 -- Oermann, M. H. and Molloy, M. A. and Vaughn, J. Use of deliberate practice in teaching in nursing. Nurse Educ Today. .
- 0 -- PubMed # : 26734699 -- Sabol, V. K. and Molloy, M. A. Aging and obesity: general assessment and management considerations. Geriatr Nurs. 36(5); 407-9.
- 2016 -- PubMed # : 26448157 -- Molloy, M. A. and Sabol, V. K. and Silva, S. G. and Guimond, M. E. Using Trigger Films as a Bariatric Sensitivity Intervention: Improving Nursing Students' Attitudes and Beliefs About Caring for Obese Patients. Nurse Educ. 41(1); 19-24.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 26506864 -- Stevenson, E. and Chudgar, S. M. and Turner, K. and Molloy, M. and Phillips, B. and Engle, D. L. and Clay, A. S. How We Engage Graduating Professional Students in Interprofessional Patient Safety. Nurs Forum. .
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 26597906 -- Vaughn, J. and Shaw, R. J. and Molloy, M. A. A Telehealth Case Study: The Use of Telepresence Robot for Delivering Integrated Clinical Care. J Am Psychiatr Nurses Assoc. 21(6); 431-2.
- 2016 -- Chaballout, B., Molloy, M.A., Vaughn, J., Brisson, R., Shaw, R.J. Feasibility of augmented reality in clinical simulations: Using Google Glass with manikins JMIR Medical Education. 2(1); .
- 2015 -- Molloy, M. A., Vaughn, J., & Oermann, M. H. Psychomotor skills 2015 .
Grant Funding (Selected)
Adaptive BLS Training: Optimizing Individual BLS Maintenance of Competence TrainingNational League for Nursing/Laerdal Medical
08/2015 to 03/2017
Role: Clinical Site Coordinator for Duke University School of Nursing