Michael E. Zychowicz, DNP, ANP, ONP, FAAN, FAANP
Dr. Michael Zychowicz is Associate Professor and Director of the MSN Program at Duke University School of Nursing. He is certified as both an Adult Nurse Practitioner and an Orthopedic Nurse Practitioner. His specialty is orthopedic nursing, with subspecialties in sports medicine, spine surgery, and general orthopedics. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing and the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
Dr. Zychowicz graduated from Orange County Community College with an Associate Degree in Nursing in 1990 and from the State University of New York at Plattsburgh with a BSN in 1995. After working as a critical care and emergency room nurse, he earned a Master of Science as a Nurse Practitioner from Syracuse University in 1997. While at Syracuse, he taught anatomy and physiology and performed a primary care/rural health internship with the National Health Service Corps. He completed the Doctorate of Nursing Practice degree in 2006 at Case Western Reserve University.
Dr. Zychowicz taught nursing and practiced as a nurse practitioner at Mount St. Mary College (Newburgh, NY) from 1999 to 2008. While in Newburgh, he also practiced in Orthopedics and Sports Medicine. During this period, he was selected as New York State NP of the Year (2004), received the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) Award for Excellence in 2007, and received the American Association of Colleges of Nursing Leadership in Academic Nursing Fellowship (2007-2008). He also served as an Army Reserve Officer in the Army Medical Department between 1991 and 2005.
Dr. Zychowicz has published a book titled Orthopedic Nursing Secrets, in addition to articles and chapters on a variety of orthopedic topics. He is frequently invited to lecture at conferences and seminars across the country where he shares his expertise and passion for orthopedic topics locally and nationally to nursing and nurse practitioner organizations. He is on the editorial advisory board for the journal Advance for Nurse Practitioners and is a contributing editor for Clinical Advisor. His research and clinical interests include occupational back injuries and the impact of health beliefs on return to work time. His research interests include occupational back injuries and returning to work after an occupational injury. In 2010 he joined the journal Orthopedic Nursing as a columnist writing about orthopedic pathophysiology.
Academic Program Affiliations
- Master of Science in Nursing Program
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
- DNP - Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing
- MSN - Syracuse University
- BSN - State University of New York at Plattsburgh
Research InterestsResearch interests include: • Work related back injuries • Time to return to work following a back injury • Self-efficacy and health beliefs • Factors affecting chronic back pain
Awards and Honors
- 2013 || Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
- 2007 || AACN Leadership for Academic Nursing Fellowship, American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- 2007 || AANP Award for Excellence, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- 2007 || Fellow, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- 2004 || Nancy J. Macintyre New York State Nurse Practitioner of the Year, Nurse Practitioner Association of New York State
- 1997 || Primary Care/ Rural Health summer internship, National Health Service Corps
Areas of Interest
- 2006 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Disruptive innovation. The Nurse Practitioner Association New York State Communiqué Quarterly. Fall, 2006 28.
- 2007 -- PubMed # : 19998902 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Rusty hinges. Understanding osteoarthritis pain. Adv Nurse Pract. September, 2007 15(9); 57-60, 68.
- 2010 -- PubMed # : 21054636 -- Zychowicz, M. E. and Pope, R. S. and Graser, E. The current state of care in gout: Addressing the need for better understanding of an ancient disease. J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 22 Suppl 1(6); 623-36.
- 2003 -- Zychowicz, M. E. (Ed.) Orthopedic Nursing Secrets. 2003 .
- 2000 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Trigger point injections. 2000 274-276.
- 2000 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Joint injections. 2000 262-268.
- 2000 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Arthrocentesis. 2000 229-234.
- 2003 -- Bilyeu, P. and Zychowicz, M. E. Spine disorders. 2003 129-142.
- 2003 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Physical examination. 2003 1-16.
- 2003 -- Waters, S. and Zychowicz, M. E. Pain assessment and management. 2003 225-236.
- 2003 -- Brennen-Cook, J.B. and Zychowicz, M. E. Orthopedic trauma. 2003 85-104.
- 2003 -- Murphy, D. and Zychowicz, M. E. Orthopedic complications. 2003 209-224.
- 2003 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Operative orthopedics. 2003 179-196.
- 2003 -- Armstrong, V. and Zychowicz, M. E. Neuromuscular disorders. 2003 143-152.
- 2003 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Infectious conditions. 2003 69-84.
- 2003 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Diagnostic tests, modalities and procedures. 2003 17-28.
- 2003 -- PubMed # : 12754977 -- Zychowicz, M. and Sutliff, L. Playing sports after a toe fracture. Adv Nurse Pract. May, 2003 11(5); 21.
- 2005 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Case study: Aching back pain in a 35-year-old man. The Clinical Advisor (Supplement: A Practical Approach to Pain Management: A Therapeutic Update). 2005 9(Suppl. 8); 22.
- 2006 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Common foot ailments you can treat yourself. Clinical Advisor for Nurse Practitioners. October, 2006 9(10); 24-26, 29-30.
- 2007 -- PubMed # : 20014677 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Writing a physical therapy prescription. Key components for optimum outcomes. Adv Nurse Pract. December, 2007 15(12); 59.
- 2009 -- PubMed # : 20014727 -- Zychowicz, M. and Craig, A. and Green, R. and Weill, V. and Kaplan, C. and Resnick, B. and Henderson, M. J. and Arnold, K. C. and Halloran, L. and Ryan, S. Your first NP position. Adv Nurse Pract. April, 2009 17(4); 53-4.
- 2010 -- PubMed # : 20648868 -- Zychowicz, M. NPs in orthopedics. One nurse practitioner's path. Adv Nurse Pract. July, 2010 18(7); 37-9.
- 2010 -- PubMed # : 21099648 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Osteoarticular manifestations of mycobacterium tuberculosis infection. Orthop Nurs. Nov.-Dec., 2010 29(6); 400-6.
- 2010 -- Wellman, K. L. and Zychowicz, M. E. Advisor forum. No pain, no injury? Clinical Advisor for Nurse Practitioners. February, 2010 13(2); 78, 80.
- 2009 -- Schell, D. and Zychowicz, M. E. Advisor forum. Steroid-related joint pain. Clinical Advisor for Nurse Practitioners. June, 2009 12(6); 44.
- 2009 -- Flosi, M. and Zychowicz, M. E. Advisor forum. Leg swelling following hip replacement. Clinical Advisor for Nurse Practitioners. February, 2009 12(2); 44.
- 2009 -- Lesko, M. and Zychowicz, M. E. Advisor forum. Musculoskeletal effects of diabetes. Clinical Advisor for Nurse Practitioners. February, 2009 12(2); 49-50.
- 2007 -- White, P. and Zychowicz, M. E. Advisor forum. Anticoagulation after hip surgery. Clinical Advisor for Nurse Practitioners. December, 2007 10(12); 62-63.
- 2007 -- Birck, K. and Zychowicz, M. E. Advisor forum. Mysterious limb sensations. Clinical Advisor for Nurse Practitioners. October, 2007 10(10); 92, 95.
- 2007 -- Ahern, V. and Zychowicz, M. E. Advisor forum. Exercise-induced illness and joint pain. Clinical Advisor for Nurse Practitioners. September, 2007 10(9); 75-76.
- 2006 -- Tramposh, L.. and Zychowicz, M. E. Advisor forum. Diagnosing MS. Clinical Advisor for Nurse Practitioners. March, 2006 9(3); 75.
- 2006 -- Anderson, S. L.. and Zychowicz, M. E. Advisor forum. Preventing avascular necrosis. Clinical Advisor for Nurse Practitioners. March, 2006 9(3); 69.
- 2006 -- Clark, J. and Zychowicz, M. E. Advisor forum. Mysterious knee pain in a child. Clinical Advisor for Nurse Practitioners. February, 2006 9(2); 73-74.
- 2011 -- AANP Expert Panel: (Jensen, P. K., Counts, M. M., Elwell, J. S., Knettler, T. R., Mathews, S. B., Pearce, P. F., Swanson, D., Thomas, S. L., Towers, J., Zychowicz, M. E., Bauer, J. C.) AANP comments on the IOM report: The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health June, 2011 .
- 2011 -- PubMed # : 21934587 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Gout: no longer the disease of kings. Orthop Nurs. September/October, 2011 30(5); 322-30.
- 2011 -- PubMed # : 21925464 -- Danzey, I. M. and Ea, E. and Fitzpatrick, J. J. and Garbutt, S. J. and Rafferty, M. and Zychowicz, M. E. The doctor of nursing practice and nursing education: highlights, potential, and promise. J Prof Nurs. September, 2011 27(5); 311-4.
- 2012 -- PubMed # : 22551336 -- Freeman, M. and Zychowicz, M. and Feldman, G. and Gordon, S. The roles of self-efficacy and pretest counseling in type 2 herpes simplex virus screening in asymptomatic adults. J Am Acad Nurse Pract. May, 2012 24(5); 313-23.
- 2012 -- PubMed # : 22658263 -- Vorderstrasse, A. A. and Zychowicz, M. E. Case studies for an accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Pathophysiology course. J Nurs Educ. June, 2012 51(6); 358.
- 2012 -- PubMed # : 23076235 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Pre-participation physical evaluations for athletes. Nurse Pract. 37(11); 41-5.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 23416341 -- Zychowicz, M. E. A closer look at hand and wrist complaints. Nurse Pract. March, 2013 38(3); 46-53.
- 2013 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Musculoskeletal system. 2013 .
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 23695764 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Pathophysiology of heterotopic ossification. Orthop Nurs. May-June, 2013 32(3); 173-7.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 24574068 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Viscosupplementation for knee osteoarthritis. J Am Assoc Nurse Pract. March, 2014 26(3); 163-75.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 24651138 -- Roberts, C. L. and Meyering, C. D. and Zychowicz, M. E. Improving the management of tibia stress fractures: a collaborative, outpatient clinic-based quality improvement project. Orthop Nurs. March/April, 2014 33(2); 75-83.
- 2014 -- Zychowicz, M. E. Musculoskeletal problems. 2014, in press .
Grant Funding (Selected)
Orthopedic Adult Nurse Practitioner SpecialtyHealth Resources and Service Administration
07/2011 to 06/2014