Rémi M. Hueckel, DNP, CPNP-AC, CHSE, FAANP
Dr. Rémi Hueckel is Assistant Professor and MSN Assistant Program Director. Before joining the DUSON faculty, Dr. Hueckel was an expert clinician in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and a leader in patient safety and process improvement at Duke Hospital, where she continues to hold a clinical appointment. Rémi is a member of the pediatric critical care nurse practitioner team and continues to be a leader in clinical education and simulation for nurses, residents, fellows and advanced practice nurses in pediatrics and pediatric critical care.
Dr. Hueckel’s clinical experience and interest in patient safety and emergency response teams have allowed her to creatively integrate simulation into the Duke Acute Care PNP management courses and create opportunities for intra-professional collaboration between the ABSN and Acute Care PNP students. She is the president of the North Carolina chapter of the National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, serves on the Acute Care PNP Exam Committee of the Pediatric Nursing Certification Board (PNCB), and is a reviewer for Journal of Pediatric Health Care. Dr. Hueckel developed and implemented a professional transition to practice program for ACPNPs at Duke University Health System and has contributed significantly to the advancement of the ACPNP role nationally. In 2014 she was inducted as Fellow of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
Dr. Hueckel received her BSN from Purdue University. She earned an MSN degree as an Adult Nurse Practitioner and completed post-master’s certificates in the Family Nurse Practitioner and Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner specialties at Duke University. She is a 2011 graduate of the Duke DNP program. Dr. Hueckel is board certified by the American Nurses Credentialing Center as a Family Nurse Practitioner and as an Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner by the PNCB.
Academic Program Affiliations
- Master of Science in Nursing Program
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
- DNP - Duke University
- MSN - Duke University
Research Interests• Patient Safety, quality improvement and team-based response systems • Effect of systems improvement efforts on patient safety • Use of simulation in clinical education • Inter and intra-professional collaboration and education
Awards and Honors
- 2014 || Golden Graduate, Purdue University School of Nursing’
- 2013 || AANP State Award for Nurse Practitioner Excellence, American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- 2013 || Selected participant, Chancellor’s Clinical Leadership in Academic Medicine Program (CCHAMP) 2014 cohort, Duke Medicine Chancellor's Cabinet
- 1992 || Inducted, Sigma Theta Tau
- 2012 -- PubMed # : 21989457 -- Hueckel, R. M. and Mericle, J. M. and Frush, K. and Martin, P. L. and Champagne, M. T. Implementation of condition help: family teaching and evaluation of family understanding. J Nurs Care Qual. July, 2012 27(2); 176-81.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 23117793 -- Turner, K. and Frush, K. and Hueckel, R. and Relf, M. V. and Thornlow, D. and Champagne, M. T. Implementation of the Josie King Care Journal in a pediatric intensive care unit: a quality improvement project. J Nurs Care Qual. July-September, 2013 28(3); 257-64.
- 2008 -- PubMed # : 18613098 -- Graf, J. M. and Montagnino, B. A. and Hueckel, R. and McPherson, M. L. Children with new tracheostomies: planning for family education and common impediments to discharge. Pediatr Pulmonol. August, 2008 43(8); 788-94.
- 2008 -- PubMed # : 18477921 -- Graf, J. M. and Montagnino, B. A. and Hueckel, R. and McPherson, M. L. Pediatric tracheostomies: a recent experience from one academic center. Pediatr Crit Care Med. January, 2008 9(1); 96-100.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 22907684 -- King, M. E. and Hueckel, R. Transient myeloproliferative disease: keeping a high index of suspicion. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. January, 2013 29(5); 289-93.
- 2008 -- PubMed # : 21249937 -- Hueckel, R. M. and Turi, J. L. and Cheifetz, I. M. and Mericle, J. and Meliones, J. N. and Mistry, K. P. Beyond rapid response teams: Instituting a “rover team” improves the management of at-risk patients, facilitates proactive interventions and improves outcomes. August, 2008 . Bookshelf ID: NBK43680PMID
- 2006 -- Hueckel, R. and Wilson, D. Chapter 31: The child with disturbance of oxygen and carbon dioxide exchange 2006 .
- 2006 -- Hueckel, R. and Wilson, D. Chapter 32: The child with respiratory dysfunction. 2006 .
- 2006 -- Hueckel, R. Case Study: Pediatric Trauma 2006 .
- 2007 -- Delemetter, G. and Cochran, C. and Hueckel, R. pH monitoring study: care and management. 2007 .
- 2014 -- Hueckel, R. M. Chapter 41: Family centered care Wong’s Nursing Care of Infants and Children. 2014 .
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 25057001 -- McLaughlin, C. A. and Hockenberry, M. J. and Kurtzberg, J. and Hueckel, R. and Martin, P. L. and Docherty, S. L. Standardization of health care provider competencies for intrathecal access procedures. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. Nov-Dec, 2014 31(6); 304-16.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 25535756 -- Oermann, M. H. and Leonardelli, A. K. and Turner, K. M. and Hawks, S. J. and Derouin, A. L. and Hueckel, R. M. Systematic review of educational programs and strategies for developing students' and nurses' writing skills. J Nurs Educ. January, 2015 54(1); 28-34.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 25719569 -- Bush, P. A. and Hueckel, R. M. and Robinson, D. and Seelinger, T. A. and Molloy, M. A. Cultivating a Culture of Medication Safety in Prelicensure Nursing Students. Nurse Educ. Jul-Aug, 2015 40(4); 169-73.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 26247659 -- Derouin, A. L. and Hueckel, R. M. and Turner, K. M. and Hawks, S. J. and Leonardelli, A. K. and Oermann, M. H. Use of Workshops to Develop Nurses' and Nursing Students' Writing Skills. J Contin Educ Nurs. 46(8); 364-9.
- 2015 -- PubMed # : 26534870 -- Hawks, S. J. and Turner, K. M. and Derouin, A. L. and Hueckel, R. M. and Leonardelli, A. K. and Oermann, M. H. Writing Across the Curriculum: Strategies to Improve the Writing Skills of Nursing Students. Nurs Forum. November, 2015 Epub ahead of print .