You are here
DUSON Strong is a community of faculty, staff and students with the goal of becoming the most fit school of nursing in the nation and the most generous with its time and donations. There will be numerous ways to join and participate each semester starting with…
DUSON Strong Runs to the Philippines
This Summer teams of faculty, staff and students are virtually racing together to get DUSON to the Philippines during the semester! The race is from Monday, May 29, to Monday, July 31, 2017. Watch us on our journey.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I don’t like to run. Can I still sign up?
A: Absolutely! All activity counts!
Q: I track steps. How can I be part of this race?
A: 2112 steps = 1 mile
Q: What about activity classes? I do yoga/boot camp/pi-yo/zumba/spin class. Is there a conversion for that?
A: YES! You choose! Decide on your own perceived exertion and use one of the following conversions:
Moderate Activity (Think “average walker”)
- 15 minutes of activity = 1 mile
- 60 minutes of activity = 4 miles
Vigorous Activity (Think “average runner”)
- 10 minutes of activity = 1 mile
- 60 minutes of activity = 6 miles
Q: Does swimming count?
A: YES! How long did you swim? Convert laps to miles (1600 meters = 1 mile) or time spent swimming into miles.
Q: What about cycling?
A: Please convert time spent cycling or in spin class into miles with one of the walk or run conversions; otherwise, the rest of us will never be able to keep up!
Join a Team
Sign up for this semesters race today by selecting the "Teams" tab from the box on the left of the DUSON Strong's Race to Philippines page. By logging your miles, you will move your team closer to the finish line. Here's how you can convert your steps and your physical activities into miles:
- 2,112 steps = 1 mile
- A total of 60 minutes of moderate physical activity counts as 4 miles (average walk pace)
- A total of 60 minutes of vigorous physical activity counts as 6 miles (average run pace)
What to Expect
After you sign up, you will:
- receive an email reminding you to submit your miles. (25 members are needed in order for a team to begin seeing its progress.)
- receive an email reminder at 4:30 p.m. each day thereafter.
- submit your miles by responding to the email.
- receive a daily email about the progress of each DUSON Strong team.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You may opt out of the daily email reminder, but please keep the original email handy and use it every time to submit your miles if you want to continue participating.
Have Fun and Be Active
Your team winning the race is great thing to strive for, but the real goals—how you and every participant can truly win—are to have fun and be active. You can also have fun with your team members and competitors by using the // function to annotate your activity for the day. See the example posts below:
- 6 miles // killer boot camp this morning!
- 4 miles // 1hour swim - pool opened today!