You are here


Federal Loans

To apply for a federal loan, all students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)To receive federal student loans, graduate students must be enrolled for at least 4.5 credit hours per semester during the fall/spring semesters and 3 credit hours during the summer semester. ABSN and Post-Bachelor's Certificate students must be enrolled at least 6 credit hours per semester. Federal policy does not allow disbursement of a loan during a semester in which a student is enrolled for fewer than the required credit hours.

Stafford Loan

    ABSN/Post-Bachelor's Certificate - Dependent Student ABSN/Post-Bachelor's Certificate - Independent Student Graduate Student
Annual Stafford Limits Subsidized $5,500 $5,500 $0
Unsubsidized $2,000 $7,000 $20,500
Total   $7,500 $12,500 $20,500
Aggregate Stafford Limits Subsidized $23,000 $23,000 $65,500 (Incl. Ugrd.
Unsubsidized $8,000 $34,500 $73,000
Total   $31,000 $57,500 $138,500

Graduate PLUS Loan

Graduate students are eligible for a graduate PLUS loan to assist with costs beyond what can be covered through the unsubsidized Stafford loan program. Before borrowing the graduate PLUS loan, students should first borrow the maximum amount through the unsubsidized Stafford loan program. The graduate PLUS loan does require credit check approval by the Department of Education to receive the funds.

Nurse Faculty Loan

This program provides forgiveness of up to 85% of the loan for those who work as full-time nursing faculty or instructors for a period of time after graduation. This program is for students pursuing a Master of Science in Nursing Education or a Doctor of Nursing Practice degree. Please note the following requirements for the program:

  • You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • You must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
  • You must complete a total of 9 credit hours in education coursework from the following courses in order to qualify for the Nurse Faculty Loan Program: N731, N734, N736 and three of the following: N732, N733, N735, N737, N738, N746, N747, N748, N749, N750, and N751.
  • You must be enrolled at least half-time (4.5 credit hours during the fall/spring semesters; 3 credit hours during the summer semester).
  • You must be employed in a full-time nurse faculty position within 12 months of graduation, and you must notify the Student Loan Office immediately once employed.

The loan covers tuition, fees, and books, minus any other resources toward tuition, up to a maximum of $35,500 per academic year.

Private Education Loans

When all federal loan options have been exhausted, or when a student is enrolled less than half-time and therefore not eligible for federal loan funding, private education loans may be utilized. Private loans are loans borrowed from a source other than Duke or the federal government to help finance education expenses. We strongly encourage you to use all available federal loan programs before using private loans.

A student can borrow an education loan from any financial institution of his/her choosing. Duke also offers a Lender List to assist students when applying for a private loan.