Linda L. Davis, PhD, RN, FAAN
Linda Lindsey Davis came to Duke in 2005 as Professor in the School of Nursing and Senior Fellow in the Duke Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development. In 2006, she was named Ann Henshaw Gardiner Distinguished Professor (one of the first distinguished professorships in the School of Nursing). She served as Chair of the PhD Program from 2007 through 2011.
Dr. Davis earned her BSN from Old Dominion University, her MSN from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and her PhD in Nursing from the University of Maryland. She also completed a primary care faculty fellowship at the University of Rochester and postdoctoral studies on family research methods at the University of California-San Francisco. As an adult nurse practitioner, Davis spent much of her career practicing in elder-care settings in New York, Oregon, Virginia, and Alabama. She was one of the first Robert Wood Johnson Nurse Fellows in primary care. She was elected to the national Academies of Practice (Nursing) in 1989 and the American Academy of Nursing in 2007.
Dr. Davis has extensive teaching and administrative experience in baccalaureate, Master’s and doctoral programs in nursing. She has held leadership positions with the national Alzheimer’s Association, the TriServices Military Research Panel, and the American Nurses Foundation, and is a member of the scientific review panel of the National Institute of Nursing Research. Dr. Davis is a member of Sigma Theta Tau and the Gerontological Society of America. She has published more than 70 papers and book chapters on elder care education, advanced practice, and research. She recently completed a randomized trial of skill training strategies to help family caregivers provide home care for frail elders with Alzheimer’s disease or Parkinson’s disease.
Academic Program Affiliations
- PhD - University of Maryland - Baltimore
- MSN - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Nursing
- BSN - Old Dominion University
Research InterestsMy research interests are grounded in my early experiences as an adult nurse practitioner and include elder care, family stress, coping and adaptation, and methods and measures for clinical research around those issues.
Awards and Honors
- 2007 || Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
- 2006 || Ann Henshaw Gardiner Distinguished Professor, Duke University School of Nursing
- 1989 || Hirschfield Award for Academic Teaching Excellence, Old Dominion University
- 1988 || Congressional Medallion, Distinguished Practitioner, National Academies of Practice (Nursing)
- 1978 || Fellow, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Primary Care Fellowship, Princeton University
- 2005 -- Davis, L. L. Today's rural caregiving: Managing mood without medication. Today's Caregiver. June 23, 2005 .
- 1979 -- Davis, L. L. He who cannot, teaches . . . AJN The American Journal of Nursing. July, 1979 79(7); 1979.
- 1986 -- PubMed # : 3637187 -- Davis, L. L. The politics of interdisciplinary collaboration in professional practice. J Prof Nurs. Summer, 1986 2(4); 206, 266.
- 1997 -- Davis, L. L. What comes around doesn’t necessarily go around: A commentary on “Building Community” Families, Systems & Health. Winter, 1997 15(4); 401-404.
- 2003 -- Buckwalter, K. and Davis, L. L. The caregivers’ toolbox: Combating blue mood thinking. Today’s Caregiver. March-April 2003 28-30.
- 1995 -- Davis, L. L. Commentary on "Teenage mothers at age 30" Western Journal of Nursing Research. November, 1995 27(7); 858-859.
- 2011 -- Davis, L. L. and Gilliss, C. L. and Harper, M. S. Family caregiving: Implications for rural practice, policy, education and research. September, 2011 19-32.
- 2011 -- Buckwalter, K. C. and Davis, L. L. Elder caregiving in rural communities September, 2011 33-46.
- 2008 -- Davis, L. and Chestnutt, D. Family care for frail elders. 2008 .
- 2005 -- Gilliss, C. L. and Davis, L. L. Primary care and advanced practice nursing: Past, present, and future. 2005 122-45.
- 2002 -- Buckwalter, K. and Davis, L. Elder caregiving in rural communities. White Paper commissioned by the U.S. Administration on Aging. Spring, 2002 .
- 2000 -- Burgio, L. and Allen-Burge, R. and Stevens, A. and Davis, L. and Marson, D. Caring for Alzheimer's disease patients: Issues of verbal communication and social interaction. 2000 49–74.
- 1991 -- Davis, L. L. Hardiness: The health-promoting personality characteristic. 1991 525-540.
- 2001 -- Davis, L. L. Altered family processes: Caring for the dependent family member. 2001 719-726.
- 1998 -- Davis, L. L. and Gilliss, C. L. Primary care and advanced practice nursing: Past, present and future. 1998 114-36.
- 1994 -- Davis, L. L. and Gilliss, C. L. Primary care: Meaning and diversity for advanced practice role applications 1994 .
- 1993 -- Gilliss, C. L. and Davis, L. L. Does family intervention make a difference? An integrative review and meta-analysis. 1993 259-65.
- 2010 -- PubMed # : 20422795 -- McLennon, S. M. and Habermann, B. and Davis, L. L. Deciding to institutionalize: why do family members cease caregiving at home? J Neurosci Nurs. April, 2010 42(2); 95-103.
- 2006 -- PubMed # : 17098159 -- Habermann, B. and Davis, L. L. Lessons learned from a Parkinson's disease caregiver intervention pilot study. Appl Nurs Res. November, 2006 19(4); 212-215.
- 2007 -- PubMed # : 17935241 -- Brown, C. J. and Williams, B. R. and Woodby, L. L. and Davis, L. L. and Allman, R. M. Barriers to mobility during hospitalization from the perspectives of older patients and their nurses and physicians. J Hosp Med. September, 2007 2(5); 305-13.
- 2006 -- PubMed # : 16977645 -- Davis, L. L. and Weaver, M. and Habermann, B. Differential attrition in a caregiver skill training trial. Res Nurs Health. October, 2006 29(5); 498-506.
- 2006 -- PubMed # : 16513921 -- Rice, M. and Broome, M. E. and Habermann, B. and Kang, D. and Davis, L. L. Implementing the research budget. West J Nurs Res. March, 2006 28(2); 234-41.
- 2005 -- PubMed # : 15858525 -- Davis, L. L. and Weaver, M. and Habermann, B. and Buckwalter, K. Participant-centered adaptations in caregiver trials: strategies for managing confounds. Nurs Outlook. June, 2005 53(2); 73-8.
- 2005 -- PubMed # : 16138530 -- Habermann, B. and Davis, L. L. Caring for family with Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease: needs, challenges and satisfaction. J Gerontol Nurs. June, 2005 31(6); 49-54.
- 2005 -- PubMed # : 15839292 -- Sujijantartarat, R. and Booth, R. S. and Davis, L. L. Nosocomial urinary tract infection: nursing-sensitive quality indicator in a Thai hospital. J Nurs Care Qual. 2005 Apr-Jun 20(2); 134-139.
- 2004 -- PubMed # : 15388906 -- Davis, L. L. and Weaver, M. and Zamrini, E. and Stevens, A. and Kang, D. and Parker Jr., C. R. Biopsychological markers of distress in informal caregivers. Biol Res Nurs. 6(2); 90-9.
- 2004 -- Davis, L. L. and Burgio, L. D. and Buckwalter, K. C. and Weaver, M. A comparison of in-home and telephone-based skill training with caregivers of persons with dementia. Journal of Mental Health & Aging. Spring, 2004 10(1); 31-44.
- 2002 -- PubMed # : 12802140 -- Coen Buckwalter, K. and Lindsey Davis, L. and Wakefield, B. J. and Kienzle, M. G. and Murray, M. A. Telehealth for elders and their caregivers in rural communities. Fam Community Health. October, 2002 25(3); 31-40.
- 2002 -- PubMed # : 11901967 -- Davis, L. L. and Broome, M. E. and Cox, R. P. Maximizing retention in community-based clinical trials. J Nurs Scholarsh. 34(1); 47-53.
- 2001 -- Davis, L. L. and Buckwalter, K. Family caregiving after nursing home admission. Journal of Mental Health & Aging. Fall, 2001 7(3); 361-379.
- 2001 -- PubMed # : 11497072 -- Davis, L. L. Assessing functional ability in persons with dementia: using family caregivers as informants. J Neurosci Nurs. August, 2001 33(4); 194-5, 200-2.
- 1999 -- Cox, R. P. and Davis, L. L. Family problem-solving: Measuring the elusive concept. Journal of Family Nursing. August, 1999 5(3); 332-360.
- 1999 -- PubMed # : 10839047 -- Davis, L. L. and Burgio, L. D. Planning cognitive-behavioral management programs for long-term care. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 1999 20(6); 587-601.
- 1998 -- Davis, L. L. Telephone-based interventions with family caregivers: A feasibility study. Journal of Family Nursing. August, 1998 4(3); 255-270.
- 1997 -- PubMed # : 9418429 -- Cleeland, E. A. and Davis, L. L. Depression in elders with dementia: Implications for home healthcare practice Home Healthc Nurse. November, 1997 15(11); 780-787, 790-791.
- 1997 -- PubMed # : 16461247 -- Davis, L. L. and Buckwalter, K. and Burgio, L. D. Measuring problem behaviors in dementia: Developing a methodological agenda. J Am Med Dir Assoc. September, 1997 20(1); 40-55.
- 1997 -- PubMed # : 9179180 -- Grant, J. S. and Davis, L. L. Selection and use of content experts for instrument development. Res Nurs Health. 20(3); 269-74.
- 1997 -- Davis, L. L. Family conflicts around dementia home-care. Families, Systems & Health: The Journal of Collaborative Family HealthCare. Spring, 1997 15(1); 85-98.
- 1997 -- Grant, J. S. and Davis, L. L. Living with loss: The stroke family caregiver Journal of Family Nursing. February, 1997 3(1); 36-56.
- 1995 -- PubMed # : 7754190 -- Grant, J. S. and Davis, L. L. Using the literature to design a study in the rehabilitation setting: an example with stroke patients. Rehabil Nurs. 20(3); 144-8, 154.
- 1995 -- PubMed # : 7743907 -- Davis, L. L. and Cox, R. P. Using interventive questions to empower family decision making. Dimens Crit Care Nurs. 14(1); 48-55.
- 1994 -- PubMed # : 7840548 -- Davis, L. L. and Grant, J. S. Constructing the reality of recovery: family home care management strategies. ANS Adv Nurs Sci. December, 1994 17(2); 66-76.
- 1994 -- PubMed # : 8144754 -- Davis, L. L. and Cox, R. P. Looking through the constructivist lens: the art of creating nursing work groups. J Prof Nurs. 10(1); 38-46.
- 1994 -- Davis, L. L. Family caregiving for middle-aged and elderly families: An international nursing research issue. Japanese Journal of Nursing Research. 1994 27(2-3); 71-75.
- 1993 -- PubMed # : 8236965 -- Davis, L. L. Family scores revisited--a comparison of three approaches to data aggregation. West J Nurs Res. 15(5); 649-57.
- 1993 -- PubMed # : 8233153 -- Cox, R. P. and Davis, L. L. Social constructivist approaches for brief, episodic, problem-focused family encounters. Nurse Pract. August, 1993 18(8); 45-9.
- 1993 -- PubMed # : 8510042 -- Grant, J. S. and Davis, L. L. and Kinney, M. R. Criteria for critiquing clinical nursing research reports. J Post Anesth Nurs. 8(3); 163-71.
- 1993 -- PubMed # : 8502767 -- Davis, L. L. and Grant, J. S. Focus on psychometrics: Guidelines for using psychometric consultants in nursing studies. Res Nurs Health. 16(2); 151-5.
- 1993 -- PubMed # : 8445275 -- Grant, J. S. and Kinney, M. R. and Davis, L. L. Using conceptual frameworks or models to guide nursing research. J Neurosci Nurs. 25(1); 52-6.
- 1992 -- Davis, L. L. Instrument review: Getting the most from a panel of experts Applied Nursing Research. November, 1992 5(4); 194-197.
- 1992 -- PubMed # : 1537987 -- Gilliss, C. L. and Davis, L. L. Family nursing research: precepts from paragons and peccadilloes. J Adv Nurs. January, 1992 17(1); 28-33.
- 1991 -- PubMed # : 1841184 -- Lilley, L. L. and Davis, L. L. Building a management library: experienced nurses pick their favorite references. Nurs Health Care. 12(3); 130-4, 149-50.
- 1990 -- PubMed # : 2357075 -- Davis, L. L. Illness uncertainty, social support, and stress in recovering individuals and family care givers. Appl Nurs Res. 3(2); 69-71.
- 1989 -- PubMed # : 2797528 -- Martin, A. C. and Davis, L. L. Mental health problems in primary care: a study of nurse practitioners' practice. Nurse Pract. 14(10); 46-7, 50-6.
- 1989 -- PubMed # : 2740256 -- Davis, L. L. and Barham, P. D. Get the most from your preceptorship program. Nurs Outlook. Jul-Aug, 1989 37(4); 167-71.
- 1989 -- Hutto, C. B. and Davis, L. L. 12-hour shifts: Panacea or problem? Nursing Management. August, 1989 20(8); 56A, 56D, 56F.
- 1989 -- PubMed # : 2726079 -- Davis, L. L. and Barham, P. D. and Kwentus, K. S. Bringing degrees to staff nurses. Nurs Manage. 20(5); 60-62.
- 1989 -- PubMed # : 2587102 -- Baldwin, J. A. and Davis, L. L. Assessing parents as health educators. Pediatr Nurs. 1989 Sep-Oct 15(5); 453-7.
- 1988 -- PubMed # : 3173795 -- Davis, L. L. and Barham, P. D. The nursing shortage. Recruiting IRNs. Nurs Health Care. 9(7); 368-372.
- 1987 -- PubMed # : 11621342 -- Pheifer, W. G. and Davis, L. L. Men in nursing: their contributions to the mainstream nursing literature, 1955-1985. J Nurs Hist. 3(1); 5-16.
- 1987 -- PubMed # : 3681782 -- Gillow, K. E. and Davis, L. L. Lesbian stress and coping methods. J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv. 25(9); 28-32.
- 1983 -- PubMed # : 6554476 -- Davis, L. L. Professional collaboration in health care administration. Nurs Adm Q. Summer, 1983 7(4); 45-51.
- 1980 -- PubMed # : 10246178 -- Hayes, W. S. and Davis, L. L. What is a health care contract? Health Values. June, 1980 4(2); 82-6, 89.
- 1977 -- PubMed # : 72750 -- Davis, L. L. and Hayes, W. S. Media for an integrated nursing curriculum. J Nurs Educ. October, 1977 16(8); 12-5.
- 1987 -- PubMed # : 3666765 -- Davis, L. L. Convalescence and implications for nursing research. Image J Nurs Sch. Fall, 1987 19(3); 114-20.
- 2011 -- Bowers, M. T. and Gilliss, C. L. and Davis, L. L. Acute and primary care advanced practice nursing: Past, present and future. 2011 114-145.
- 2011 -- PubMed # : 21531858 -- Davis, L. L. and Gilliss, C. L. and Deshefy-Longhi, T. and Chestnutt, D. H. and Molloy, M. The nature and scope of stressful spousal caregiving relationships. J Fam Nurs. May, 2011 17(2); 224-40.
- 2011 -- PubMed # : 21457292 -- Shim, B. and Landerman, L. R. and Davis, L. L. Correlates of care relationship mutuality among carers of people with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. J Adv Nurs. August, 2011 67(8); 1729-38.
- 2011 -- PubMed # : 21873916 -- Levy, J. A. and Landerman, L. R. and Davis, L. L. Advances in mediation analysis can facilitate nursing research. Nurs Res. September-October, 2011 60(5); 333-9.
- 2012 -- PubMed # : 21944564 -- Shim, B. and Barroso, J. and Davis, L. L. A comparative qualitative analysis of stories of spousal caregivers of people with dementia: negative, ambivalent, and positive experiences. Int J Nurs Stud. February, 2012 49(2); 220-9.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 22459694 -- Van Houtven, C. H. and Thorpe, J. M. and Chestnutt, D. and Molloy, M. and Boling, J. C. and Davis, L. L. Do nurse-led skill training interventions affect informal caregivers' out-of-pocket expenditures? Gerontologist. February, 2013 53(1); 60-70. PMC3551205
- 2012 -- Davis, L. L. 2012 Duke Medicine Emeriti - Linda L. Davis, PhD June 6, 2012 .
- 2012 -- PubMed # : 23075134 -- Davis, L. L. Caring for frail older adults: a theoretical and methodological agenda. Res Gerontol Nurs. 5(4); 231-2.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 23827824 -- Shim, B. and Barroso, J. and Gilliss, C. L. and Davis, L. L. Finding meaning in caring for a spouse with dementia. Appl Nurs Res. August, 2013 26(3); 121-6.
- 2013 -- Shaw, R. J. and Bosworth, H.B. and Hess, J.C. and Silva, S. and Lipkus, I. and Davis, L.L. and Johnson, C.M. Development of a theoretically driven mHealth short message service (SMS) application for sustaining weight loss. JMIR mHealth and uhealth. 2013 1(1); e5.
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 24050486 -- Shaw, R. J. and Bosworth, H. B. and Silva, S. S. and Lipkus, I. M. and Davis, L. L. and Sha, R. S. and Johnson, C. M. Mobile Health Messages Help Sustain Recent Weight Loss. Am J Med. September, 2013 .
- 2013 -- Shaw, R. J. and McDuffie, J. R. and Hendrix, C. C. and Nagi, A. and Edie, A. and Lindsey-Davis, L. and Williams, J. W. Jr. A Systematic Review: Effects of Nurse-Managed Protocols in the Outpatient Management of Adults with Chronic Illness. (VA-ESP Project #09-010) August, 2013 .
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 24853065 -- Shaw, R. J. and Steinberg, D. M. and Zullig, L. L. and Bosworth, H. B. and Johnson, C. M. and Davis, L. L. mHealth interventions for weight loss: a guide for achieving treatment fidelity. J Am Med Inform Assoc. May, 2014 2014 1-5.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 25023250 -- Shaw, R. J. and McDuffie, J. R. and Hendrix, C. C. and Edie, A. and Lindsey-Davis, L. and Nagi, A. and Kosinski, A. S. and Williams Jr, J. W. Effects of nurse-managed protocols in the outpatient management of adults with chronic conditions: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med. July, 2014 161(2); 113-21.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 25102527 -- Hyatt, K. and Davis, L. L. and Barroso, J. Chasing the care: soldiers experience following combat-related mild traumatic brain injury. Mil Med. August, 2014 179(8); 849-55.
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 25189535 -- Davis, L. L. and Chestnutt, D. and Molloy, M. and Deshefy-Longhi, T. and Shim, B. and Gilliss, C. L. Adapters, strugglers, and case managers: a typology of spouse caregivers. Qual Health Res. November, 2014 24(11); 1492-500. PMC4350575
- 2013 -- PubMed # : 23748990 -- Habermann, B. and Hines, D. and Davis, L. L. Caring for parents with neurodegenerative disease: a qualitative description. Clin Nurse Spec. August, 2013 27(4); 182-7. PMC3682660
- 2014 -- PubMed # : 25259643 -- Day, J. R. and Anderson, R. A. and Davis, L. L. Compassion fatigue in adult daughter caregivers of a parent with dementia. Issues Ment Health Nurs. October, 2014 35(10); 796-804.
Grant Funding (Selected)
Family Reintegration Experiences of Soldiers with Mild Traumatic Brain InjuryUniformed Services University of the Health Services
08/2011 to 07/2012
Project ASSIST for Chronic Illness CaregiversNational Institutes of Health / National Institute of Nursing Research
09/2002 to 06/2007
Project ASSIST is a randomized, intervention study designed to identify potential (QOL; financial) benefits of educating caregivers in the home who are caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s disease.
Behavioral and Team Functioning to Meet Resident NeedsNational Institute of Nursing Research
07/2002 to 01/2005
Project Goal (Stevens, PI): This continuation grant focuses on training nursing home staff in the use of behavior management skills and staff managers in the use of a structured staff supervision program.
Biopsychological Markers of Distress in AD CaregiversHartford Foundation Southeast Center for Excellence in Geriatric Medicine.
07/2002 to 06/2003
Project Goal: This feasibility study explored the utility of salivary cortisol secretion cross-referenced with daily stressful caregiving diary entries in family caregivers of persons with Alzheimer’s disease.
Parkinson's Disease: Family Management Styles and Associated ContextsNeuroscience Nurses Foundation
05/2002 to 12/2003
Project Goal (B. Habermann, PI): To explore Parkinson’s disease caregivers family management style and pilot-test Project ASSIST with Parkinson’s caregivers.
REACH II: Multi-site Intervention Trial with Diverse CaregiversNational Institute of Nursing Research - National Institute on Aging
09/2001 to 08/2004
Project Goal (LD Burgio, PI): This project is a multi-site clinical trail examining the effects of a multi-component intervention to reduce burden in ADRD Caregivers.
Behavioral Case Management for Family Caregivers of Dementia PatientsNational Institute on Aging
04/1999 to 03/2004
Project Goal (A. Stevens, PI): The purpose of the project is to train family caregivers of dementia patients in the home setting to manage behavioral problems associated with Alzheimer’s’ Dementia (AD), and to improve caregiver coping and adaptation.
Two Methods of Caregiver Skill TrainingNational Institute of Nursing Research
04/1998 to 03/2001
Project Goal: To compare in-home and telephone-delivered skill training outcomes for family caregivers of persons with Alzheimer’s disease.
Telephone-based Skill Training for ARD CaregiversUAB Alzheimer's Disease Center
01/1995 to 12/1995
Discharge Planning for Stroke Patients and Their FamiliesUAB Lister Hill Center for Health Policy
01/1993 to 12/1993