The Center for Nursing Research (CNR) is dedicated to providing resources that faculty, students and Duke University Health System practicing nurse and researchers need to advance nursing and interdisciplinary science. The CNR focuses on four key areas that concentrate on optimizing health across the spectrum, from discovery to translation. These areas of research excellence are:
- Clinical Innovation: Advancing approaches using ideas, processes, products, procedures or interventions and health system changes to benefit the health of individuals, groups and populations.
- Population Health: Improving health outcomes of groups of individuals, including families and communities, and reducing health disparities within and between groups.
- Precision Health: Customizing evidence-based approaches to health that incorporates genomics, environment and lifestyle.
- Methods and Analytics: Optimizing the use of cutting-edge and underutilized approaches to study design and analytics.
Research Areas of Excellence
The CNR focuses on four key areas that concentrate on optimizing health across the spectrum, from discovery to translation.
Each of these areas provide a platform for building research profiles and connectivity within a scientific community. Duke University School of Nursing researchers will use resources from each to augment their expertise. Essential underpinnings of these areas include the exploration of science across the age continuum and the quest for knowledge that must be explored in populations both well and ill.
The research areas of excellence will support the overall synergy of research initiatives at the Duke University School of Nursing. They build on existing faculty strengths and future potential, are conceptually broad to allow multiple opportunities for researchers to develop and grow collaborative partnerships and will guide recruitment efforts of researchers. Faculty may participate in the activities of all four areas during the evolution of their research programs.
Read our white paper on the four research areas of excellence.
The CNR supports researchers in four core areas, each providing specific resources. The cores are:
- Faculty Science Core
- Pre-award Liaison Services Core
- Research Design and Statistics Core
- Research Oversight and Compliance Core
If you are a current researcher looking for documents, visit the CNR HUB: Research Tools & Resources.
Scientific Culture and Accountability Plan (SCAP)
Our School is committed to creating a research environment that upholds the highest standards of scientific integrity. Our Scientific Culture and Accountability Plan (SCAP) sets expectations and provides recommendations for how School of Nursing leadership, the Center for Nursing Research Clinical Research Unit and individual investigators can ensure responsible management and critical review of scientific data.