CNR Participates in Racial Justice Efforts
Several weeks ago, Chancellor A. Eugene Washington tasked Paula Tanabe, vice dean of Research, with developing research specific goals to contribute to the racial justice initiatives at Duke and complement the work of the Racial Justice Task Force. These goals were established with faculty input on a very short turn around and have been submitted and accepted by the chancellor. Brigit Carter, associate dean for Diversity and Inclusion, and Dean Marion E. Broome were involved in this process.
At the September Center for Nursing Research (CNR) meeting, all research staff, including those on DUSON PI projects, were invited to participate and co-lead this important work. Research faculty volunteers were also solicited to join the CNR research racial justice task force. All volunteers were invited to participate.
The group is charged with determining and executing strategies to meet these goals. An additional goal is to communicate the racial justice research work better than we are currently doing.
Thank you to all those who stepped up.
Please reach out to anyone on the list with suggestions for our group.
Racial Justice Goals for Research Submitted to Chancellor – September 2020
- Generate new knowledge on interventions that prevent health disparities and promote health and scientific equity, especially for underrepresented groups in research.
- Engage community members as equitable partners and ensure SON research benefits the communities.
- Embed a racial equity lens throughout the research lifecycle.
- Build anti-racist and health equity processes into our research systems to eliminate bias in data collection, analysis, and reporting and improve the participant experience.
CNR Complementary Racial Justice Task Force Members
- Tara Albrecht, assistant professor
- Jackie Brown, co-lead and research program leader
- Nancy Crego, assistant professor
- Jessie Byrd, co-lead and clinical research coordinator
- Christin Daniels, assistant dean for Research Development
- Angela Richard-Eaglin, assistant professor
- Alex Gualtieri, clinical research coordinator
- Mariam Kayle, assistant professor
- Allison Lewinski, assistant professor
- Tanabe, co-lead
- Robbin Thomas, director of Research Administration
- Hanzhang Xu, assistant professor