Thank you for your interest in the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) program here at the Duke University School of Nursing (DUSON)! Financing your education can be a challenge and the school has limited financial aid sources for which you can apply. For financial needs beyond what the school offers, most students look to federal or private student loans to meet their educational expenses. For more information regarding ABSN financial aid options, read the ABSN Financial Aid Overview.
Important information regarding funding:
- DUSON Merit Scholarships - newly admitted ABSN students are automatically considered for the merit scholarship through their admission application. The faculty and Admissions Office jointly select a recipient at the time of admittance. One recipient is chosen for each Fall and Spring entry cohorts. This scholarship funds a total of $40,000 disbursed among four semesters applied to tuition.
- DUSON Need-based Scholarships - applicants interested in applying for this scholarship must submit all financial aid applications and tax documents prior to being admitted. The deadlines are final and late applications are not reviewed. Scholarship award amounts range from $10,000-$60,000 total disbursed among four semesters applied to tuition and are based on the demonstrated need of the student. This scholarship will be included in the financial aid offer if eligible and requirements received by the posted deadlines. Financial aid offers are processed within two weeks of admittance. Current students are not eligible to apply.
- Federal Student Loans - the ABSN program is a second bachelor’s degree and federal loans are capped at the undergraduate loan limits (maximum of $12,500 per academic year). The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the only requirement to apply for federal student loans.
- Federal Pell Grants - because the ABSN program is a second bachelor’s degree program, it is not eligible for this grant.
- International students - are not eligible for federal student loans or DUSON scholarships but may be able to secure a private student loan using a U.S. cosigner. For information regarding private lenders, visit https://personalfinance.duke.edu/student-loans-101/loan-resources/.
- Upon submitting the admission application, click on the cohort square below for which you are applying to find detailed financial aid instructions and deadlines. The cohort squares will be updated in December for the upcoming academic year.
Select the semester you have applied for admission below for more financial aid information.